About Joseph O'Shea
Joseph acts in complex commercial disputes on behalf of leading Australian and global companies in court, arbitral and Alternative Dispute Resolution settings.
Named a Doyle's Guide National Construction & Infrastructure Rising Star, Joseph has particular experience acting in Federal and Supreme Court construction, resources, infrastructure and engineering disputes, and providing advice on the administration of major projects, including strategic advice on the management of construction claims.
Joseph's relevant experience includes advising:
- Transurban – Advising Transurban in Supreme Court of Queensland litigation (including defects and contractual claims) arising out of the $2 billion Gateway Upgrade Project.
- Nexus Delivery – Acting for Nexus Delivery (the contractor) on a number of contractual disputes arising out of the $1.6 billion Toowoomba Second Range Crossing Project.
- BHP – advising BHP on various disputes arising out of the construction of an Evaporation Pond and Tailings Storage Facility at Olympic Dam in South Australia.
- Rio Tinto – Advising Rio Tinto in respect of a $90 million dispute (including delay, disruption and variation claims) with a contractor arising out of a Design and Construct contract on the Amrun bauxite mine project in Weipa.
- Charter Hall – Acting for Charter Hall in relation to various contractual disputes (including Supreme Court litigation and pre-litigation advice) arising out of large commercial construction projects in Queensland and South Australia.
- BHP Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) – Acting for BMA in resolving contractual disputes arising out of the Hay Point Coal Terminal Stacker-Reclaimer Project, including advice on bank guarantees, retention monies, liquidated damages, responding to payment claims, and other matters.
- CPB Contractors – acting for CPB Contractors defending Federal Court litigation brought by a sub-contractor on an $800 million Water Treatment Facility construction project for Australia Pacific LNG.
- MMM Joint Venture (Wiggins Island Coal Expert Terminal) – Acting for the MMM joint venture between Monadelphous Engineering Pty Ltd and Muhibbah Construction Pty Ltd in respect of a $388 million Supreme Court of Queensland dispute with Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal Pty Ltd, including a parallel mediation and settlement negotiation.
- AGL – advising AGL Energy in respect of disputes in relation to the Moranbah Coal Seam Gas Project in QLD’s Bowen Basin.
- Acting for the Thiess and John Holland (TJH) joint venture in a domestic ad hoc arbitration arising from alliancing contracts on the $5 billion Brisbane AirportLink Project.
- BHP Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) – Acting for BMA in defending Federal Court litigation brought by a contractor under a ship handling services contract at Hay Point Coal Terminal.
- New Generation Rollingstock PPP – advising the Qtectic consortium on the procurement and delivery of the A$4.4 billion procurement of rollingstock for the Queensland Government, including long term maintenance arrangements.
- EDL Energy – acting for EDL in respect of disputes relating to the alleged delay of the shipment of components for a renewable power station at a gold mine, including claims for EOTs upstream against the principal and resolving claims downstream with subcontractors.