About Geoff Sanders
Geoff specialises in superannuation, funds management and financial services law, including in investments, financial services regulation and superannuation regulation.
Geoff has experience in:
- Assisting superannuation and other institutional investors in relation to their investment-related matters of all kinds, including extensive experience in relation to infrastructure, private equity and property investments.
- Advising superannuation clients in relation to all aspects of the superannuation regulatory landscape.
- Advising financial services clients in relation to the licensing, disclosure and compliance requirements of the Australian financial services regime.
- Working with Australian and foreign fund managers to develop, market and operate retail and wholesale fund products.
Geoff's relevant transactional experience includes advising:
- On a number of the largest and most complex superannuation fund mergers in Australia, including mergers involving Aware Super, HESTA, Equipsuper and Prime Super.
- A number of institutional investors on the acquisition or divestment of direct asset stakes, including:
- REST on the development of 50 Bridge Street Sydney;
- AustralianSuper, Mirvac and Colonial First State on the sale of Bankstown & Camden Airports;
- a large industry superannuation fund on the establishment of a joint venture focused on investment in Brazilian logistics real estate assets; and
- Aware Super on the acquisition of an interest in three significant PPP assets.
- A range of Australia's largest and most sophisticated institutional investors, including AustralianSuper, HESTA, Hostplus, Cbus, Aware Super and REST in relation to their pooled fund investments and co-investments across a range of asset classes and structures.
- A number of superannuation fund clients on regulatory investigations, the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services and litigation relating to investment disputes, disclosure issues and member claims.
- GIP on the establishment of the $2.75 billion GIP Australia Fund.
- Aware Super, Equipsuper, the Australia Post Superannuation Scheme, Cbus and others in relation to material outsourcing agreements such as custody and administration provider appointments.
Geoff also spent almost three years working for Linklaters LLP in London, where he was a senior member of their award-winning funds management team. During this time, Geoff was involved a broad range of funds management deals in both the listed and private fund sectors, including numerous fund formations, listings and reconstructions and funds-management related mergers and acquisitions.