The energy and natural resources sectors are David's domain. He has advised numerous Australian and international companies on all aspects of oil and gas and mining law, as well as State Agreements, pipeline and power projects, political risk insurance, taxation, project financing, the environment and native title.
David's clients have included Sino Mining, Teck Cominco, Inmet, Pittsburg & Midway Coal, Kennecott, Newmont, Rio Tinto, Aflease, Riversdale Mining, Sino Gold, Uranium One, Evolution Mining, Forge Resources, Osaka Gas, Kansai Electric, AGL Energy, SINOPEC, Tokyo Electric, PE Wheatstone, Santos, Itochu, Texaco, El Paso Energy, Dominion Resources, TransCanada Pipelines, InterProvincial Pipelines, Conoco Phillips, BHP Billiton Petroleum, Gulf Oil, Gulf Canada, LASMO, ROC Oil, Hudson's Bay Oil & Gas Company, Home Oil, Epic Energy, EnCana, KUFPEC, JAPEX, INPEX, Sumitomo, Medco, Vermilion Energy, Knauf and Strike Energy.
Before becoming a partner at Allens, David worked for law firms in Toronto, New York and Perth between 1973 and 1985. He is a member and past branch president of AMPLA Ltd, The Resources and Energy Law Association, and has been a member of the resources law committee of the Law Council of Australia. In 2009, David was made a Life Member of AMPLA in recognition of his contribution to Australian resources and energy law. David is the author of numerous articles on legal aspects of mining, oil and gas and resource financing, and speaks regularly at industry seminars. His most recent articles are 'Australia's Offshore Petroleum Work Programme Bidding System' (2003) 21 JENRL 127, 'Stranded Gas - Australia's Offshore Retention Leases' (2004) 22 JENRL No. 3, 'Consequential Loss' which is published in (2009) 28 ARELJ 30, 'Foreign Bidders Face the net benefit test', The Australian Financial Review 17 February 2011, 'Personal Property Securities Act and its Impact on the Resources Sector', 2011 AMPLA Yearbook 374 and Natural Gas (Canning Basin Joint Venture) Act, 2013 (2013) 32 ARELJ 127.
- Chambers Global - named as one of the World's leading Energy and Natural Resources Lawyers - 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2004-2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Best Lawyers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 - included in categories of Energy, Natural Resources and Oil and Gas. Best Lawyers 2013 - Lawyer of the year, Natural Resources, Sydney.
- Who's Who Legal Oil & Gas 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 – selected as one of the 14 most highly regarded individuals internationally in oil and gas law.
- Which Lawyer - highly recommended in Energy 2008 and 2009 Yearbook.
- Best of the Best 2002, 2006 and 2007 - selected by Euromoney Publications as one of the World's 25 leading experts in Energy and Resources Law.
- Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Energy and Natural Resources Lawyers - selected 1995 to 2007. 2013 Expert Guides - Energy.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Client Update: NSW's latest proposal to put CSG activities 'off limits' in residential areas and villagesClient Update - 9 October 2013
- Paper - 20 September 2013
- Focus - 25 February 2013