James is a banking and finance specialist. His core practice includes debt capital markets, project and infrastructure financing (including PPPs), corporate lending, derivatives and general banking matters. He brings his technical expertise to transactions in a deal-focused manner.
James leads the Debt Capital Markets team at Allens.
James is recognised in major industry publications as being a key individual and a leading lawyer in his field. Chambers Asia states that clients appreciate that he 'applies a commercial and practical rationale' and 'will go above and beyond when needed'.
In the debt capital markets area, his work includes advising financial institutions and corporates on Australian, Euro, US, Kangaroo and Samurai bond programs, US private placements and structured debt issues. His recent debt capital markets deals includes advising issuers and arrangers on the following deals:
- establishment of the funding platform and inaugural A$ issuance for the Local Government Funding Vehicle in Victoria;
- Brambles €500m euro medium term note issuance;
- Aurizon Network's €500m euro medium term note issuance;
- Alumina Limited's inaugural A$ domestic bond issuance;
- Queensland Motorways Limited inaugural $A domestic bond issuance;
- with Linklaters, advised the Bank of China Limited, Sydney Branch on its CNY 2 billion note issue, the first time that a Renminbi denominated issuance has been made through an Australian branch of an offshore financial institution;
- ConnectEast's inaugural A$250m domestic bond issuance;
- Eastern Distributor's inaugural A$300m domestic bond issuance;
- Adani Abbott Point's A$750m domestic bond issuance, the largest project bond issued into the domestic market since the GFC;
- Bendigo and Adelaide Bank's domestic sub debt issuance, the first Basel III- compliant wholesale sub debt issuance in the domestic market;
- A$ domestic bond issuances in 2010 and 2014 to finance the operations of the Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline;
- Kangaroo bonds issued by Mitsubishi, KOSEP, GE, Bank of America, Anglo American and International Finance Facility for Immunisation Company;
- United Energy Distributions bond issue;
- Caltex retail subordinated notes issue, and the establishment of its wholesale A$ MTN Programme;
- Federation Centre's inaugural domestic bond issuance, and the establishment of Federation Centre's EMTN Programme;
- the establishment of an EMTN Programme for Amcor, which is listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange; and
- Samurai bond issuances and Uridashi issuances by ANZ and Westpac.
James advises on a number of corporate bilateral and syndicated facilities, including most recently facilities for Nufarm, Amcor, Macmahon and Epworth Foundation. In addition, James was key adviser to the banking group on the debt restructuring for Centro.
James also has a strong project financing practice, and his recent work includes advising financiers and sponsors on several project and infrastructure deals, including:
- the acquisition of the Moomba to Adelaide Pipeline System;
- the Queensland Schools Project;
- the New Generation Rollingstock Project;
- bids for Perth Stadium, North West Rail, Sydney Light Rail, Bendigo Hospital and Northern Beaches Hospital;
- the US$15 billion PNG LNG Project;
- the refinancing of Port of Portland's debt facilities;
- the Gold Coast Rapid Transit PPP;
- the Single LEAP 2 PPP, a Commonwealth Department of Defence project to deliver Defence Force accommodation within 14 military bases across Australia;
- the Wiri Men's Prison PPP, New Zealand's first major PPP; and
- the Victorian Biosciences Centre PPP.
James spent two-and-a-half years on secondment to Slaughter and May in London, where he worked extensively on debt capital market deals, structured financings and derivative transactions.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Media - 21 December 2017
- Media - 13 December 2017
- Insight - 19 October 2017