Peter specialises in managing significant regulatory investigations and commercial disputes, including class actions. He has advised and acted for clients in relation to corporations law and competition law issues, bribery and corruption allegations, contract disputes, professional negligence, and a large range of substantial regulatory investigations and commercial disputes.
Complementing this 'back end' practice, Peter has extensive 'front end' experience, with significant experience and expertise advising in relation to anti-bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering (AML) and sanctions laws. He advises a large range of clients in relation to these issues, including resources companies, major Australian and international banks and financial institutions.
Peter won the White Collar Crime category for Australia in the ILO/Lexology Client Choice Awards 2017. He was recommended in 2015 by Doyles Guide as one of Melbourne's leading commercial litigators and is ranked by Chambers as one of Australia's leading anti-bribery and corruption lawyers.
Peter's extensive experience includes:
- acting for KPMG in relation to significant and high profile regulatory investigations and commercial litigation (including class actions), arising out of the collapses of:
- the MFS/Octaviar group;
- Bill Express; and
- Gunns Limited;
- advising a large range of clients in relation to AML laws, including major Australian and international banks and financial institutions and superannuation funds;
- acting for a major Australian resources company in an Australian Federal Police investigation arising out of allegations of corrupt conduct overseas;
- advising numerous Australian and multinational clients in relation to their bribery, sanctions and corporate human rights obligations;
- acting for Amcor in relation to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission investigation and related class action concerning alleged cartel conduct with Visy;
- acting for Philip Morris in an investor/State bilateral investment treaty arbitration, raised against Australia under the Hong Kong/Australia Bilateral Investment Treaty, and in related High Court proceedings;
- acting for Melbourne Water in relation to litigation arising from the construction of the Sugarloaf 'North-South' pipeline;
- acting for multinational oil and gas producers in a significant gas price contract arbitration; and
- acting for Rio Tinto in relation to a joint venture dispute and in relation to an insurance dispute.
Areas of Expertise
- Regulatory Investigations
- Class actions
- Disputes & Investigations
- International Business Obligations
Recent News & Publications
- Linklaters Insights - 18 April 2018
- Linklaters Insights - 19 January 2018
- Focus: Australian Modern Slavery Act: Final Report recommends mandatory supply chain reporting with penalties for non-complianceFocus - 14 December 2017
- Focus: Christmas comes early for the AFP and CDPP: Bill introduced to reform foreign bribery laws and introduce DPA schemeFocus - 8 December 2017
- Focus - 3 October 2017