Philip is an experienced commercial litigator and restructuring and insolvency lawyer.
Philip has represented clients in complex commercial litigation. Recent complex matters include:
- CITIC – acting in highly complex, multifaceted, multi-jurisdictional litigation for CITIC in its dispute with Clive Palmer’s Mineralogy relating to the multi-billion dollar Sino Iron Project. Philip leads the aspects of that dispute relating to the ownership and operation of the Port of Cape Preston. This has included Federal Court proceedings and a subsequent appeal, Judicial Review proceedings in the Federal Court and a subsequent appeal, arbitrations under the Commercial Arbitration Act (Qld), proceedings in the Supreme Court of Queensland and proceedings in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
- Wesfarmers – acting for Kleenheat in the defence of a claim by Alinta in a factually and legally complex multi-million dollar dispute in relation to its LPG production and sales and gas purchase arrangements.
- Ferrier Hodgson – acting for the deed administrators of Sons of Gwalia Limited in prosecuting complex claims against the directors and auditors of the company relating to the misuse of highly complex financial derivative instruments.
- Citigroup – acting for Citigroup Capital Markets Limited in its successful defence of a high profile claim brought by ASIC alleging conflicts of interest, breach of fiduciary duty and insider trading.
Philip also advises insolvency practitioners, financial institutions, creditors (both secured and unsecured) and borrowers in relation to their rights and obligations where a borrower is in financial distress. Philip has been involved in a number of significant insolvencies, including KBL Mining Ltd, Quickflix Ltd, Challenge Australian Dairy, Pakwest, Pourzand, the Griffin Group, CopperCo and Sons of Gwalia.
Clients benefit from Philip's legal expertise, experience and understanding of commercial issues. His advice is timely and practical, enabling clients to achieve the best possible commercial outcome. Clients also benefit from Philip's experience in managing project teams and his background in marketing and science.
Philip has been recognised as a leading restructuring/insolvency lawyer by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016-2018.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Focus - 29 March 2018
- Focus: Statutory priority of secured creditors and trustee insolvency: implications of Re Amerind appeal decisionFocus - 13 March 2018