Banks and other financial institutions now face greater scrutiny from regulators, tougher regulation and increased penalties for contraventions of the law. Since the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry, this increased accountability has wide ranging impacts for the financial services sector.
Allens' market-leading team is uniquely placed to help clients navigate this environment and has expanded its capability across banking and financial services regulation with the addition of four new specialists.
Kerensa Sneyd (Managing Associate, Melbourne), Amy Atashi (Managing Associate, Sydney), Nicola Greenberg (Senior Associate, Melbourne) and Dominique Logan (Associate, Melbourne) will deepen our expertise across:
- anti-bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing and sanctions laws;
- consumer credit legislation;
- responsible lending under the new Banking Code of Practice 2019;
- design and distribution of banking products;
- payment systems regulation;
- risk and compliance management;
- blockchain and fintech regulation;
- investigations by domestic and international financial regulators, as well as relevant criminal enforcement bodies; and
- data protection, commercialisation and exchange, governance and ethics, privacy and cyber security.
Banking and Financial Institutions Sector Leader Kim Reid said the expanded team's experience is unmatched in the market.
'Our financial services team draws on experts across a range of disciplines, including M&A, disputes, regulatory response, corporate governance, risk and advisory, banking and finance, and funds management, superannuation and wealth.
'Our expanded cross-practice group team has the depth to advise our financial sector clients on all aspects of Australian consumer credit, anti-money laundering, counter-terrorism financing and banking regulation, including engagement with key regulators in the sector such as APRA, ASIC and AUSTRAC,' he said.
Notes for editors.
Allens is a commercial law firm working throughout Australia and Asia. Through its integrated alliance with Linklaters it provides clients access to 40 offices in 28 countries around the world.