About Joel Barrett
Joel commenced as a lawyer at Allens in 2009. He specialises in intellectual property, and acts for clients at all stages of the creative, industrial and innovative processes, including development, protection, commercialisation, enforcement and litigation.
Joel advises clients across a range of sectors, including media and technology, healthcare, food and beverage, energy and resources and banking and finance. His clients include eBay, Redbubble, Canva, Infosys, AstraZeneca, Mundipharma, Beam Suntory, PepsiCo, Alinta Energy and Westpac.
His recent experience includes:
- acting in large-scale copyright, trade mark, patent and consumer protection litigation in the Federal Court of Australia;
- drafting, negotiating and advising on complex IP assignment and licensing arrangements, including as part of sponsorship, software development, manufacturing and distribution agreements;
- advising on intellectual property protection and registration strategies;
- advising on the Australian copyright legislative landscape and proposed reforms, particularly as they relate to new media and online content;
- advising on major trade promotions, product launches and advertising campaigns;
- advising on the intellectual property aspects of significant mergers, acquisitions, restructures and investments, including conducting complex due diligence; and
- advising on domain name issues, including in relation to cybersquatting.
Joel is also a member of the management committee of the Copyright Society of Australia.