About Philip Blaxill
Philip specialises in commercial litigation and dispute resolution and corporate insolvency and restructuring.
Philip is an experienced commercial litigator and insolvency lawyer. He advises insolvency practitioners, financial institutions, creditors (both secured and unsecured), directors and borrowers in relation to their rights and obligations where a borrower is in financial distress. Phil has been involved in a number of recent significant insolvencies in Western Australia, including the receivership of the Quintis group and other listed entities.
Philip has significant expertise in dispute resolution in the resources sector, acting regularly for mining and oil and gas producers and service providers.
Philip is a trusted advisor to clients facing major commercial litigation. Recent matters include acting for CITIC in its dispute with Clive Palmer’s Mineralogy and Quintis in its various disputes with its former CEO and associated parties.
Philip has also represented clients in relation to regulatory investigations by various regulators.
Clients benefit from Philip's legal expertise, experience and understanding of commercial issues. Clients regularly comment on how Philip's advice is timely and practical, enabling clients to achieve the best possible commercial outcome as efficiently as possible. Clients also benefit from Philip's experience in managing project teams and his background in marketing and science.
Philip's relevant recent experience includes advising:
- Quintis – in disputes with its former CEO and associated parties in relation to meetings of members of managed investment schemes and the recovery of money owing under loan agreements in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and Federal Court of Australia.
- CITIC Pacific – in multi-faceted litigation in connection with the Sino Iron Project in the Supreme Court of Western Australia, Federal Court of Australia, Supreme Court of Queensland and private arbitration.
- Wesfarmers - in the defence of a claim by Alinta in relation to its Kleenheat LPG production and sales operations.
- Commonwealth Bank – in the prosecution of a claim for damages arising from a valuation of mortgaged properties.
- Various financial institutions – in the defence of claims by customers and former customers.
Insolvency & Restructuring
- McGrathNicol - in the receivership of entities in the Quintis Group of companies and in the liquidation of entities the Caratti group of companies.
- Ferrier Hodgson – in the administration and subsequent liquidation of an oil and gas services company and the associated litigation involving a complex pre-appointment dispute and challenges to the validity of security deed.
- Deloitte – in the administration of Quickflix Ltd and India Resources Ltd
- Westpac/McGrathNicol - in the receivership and associated litigation relating to a mining services company.
- A range of banks, receivers and administrators – in enforcement actions, formal appointments and restructuring proposals.
- A number of banks – in confidential work-outs, strategic issues and formal appointments.
- Creditors and suppliers – in relation to their legal rights in circumstances of an insolvency of a supplier or customer.
- A range of directors in relation to their personal obligations and risks in circumstances of the insolvency or near insolvency of the companies of which they are directors.
- Advising clients in relation to regulator raid protocols.
- Advising clients in relation to regulator notices, production of documents and examination of employees.
- Philip is taking a lead role in developing bespoke webapps for guiding in-house counsel in circumstances of a regulator raid, and has already worked with a number of clients with a view to customising and deploying such apps within their organisation.