About Valeska Bloch
Valeska's practice focuses on all aspects of the technology, media, telecommunications and data sectors and in technology-led innovation across all sectors – including financial services, healthcare, infrastructure, energy and government. She specialises in the procurement and development of large-scale ICT platforms and telco projects, complex commercial transactions, business separations and systems integrations, new media transactions, and telco, media and privacy regulatory advice.
Valeska is a leading data and cybersecurity practitioner, advising on the design and implementation of data governance frameworks, data and AI ethics, data exchange and commercialisation transactions, and data breach response. She is a member of the Business Council of Australia's Cyber Alliance group.
Valeska leads the firm's Allens Accelerate high-growth companies practice and advises startups, corporate innovators and investors. She has been at the forefront of legal issues associated with new technologies and innovations, including artificial intelligence and machine learning, blockchain, autonomous vehicles, and new spectrum use and allocation (including 5G). Valeska also advises global tech companies expanding into Australia on a range of legal issues, as well as on market positions and practices.
Valeska has been recognised by Australasian Lawyer as 'one of the country's leading TMT lawyers' and a 'Woman to Watch'. She has also been named in its Hot List, as well as in the Doyles Guide listing of Technology, Media & Telecommunications Rising Stars.
Her main clients include:
- Major Procurement and Outsourcing – SWIFT, Big-4 banks, Vodafone, NSW Department of Finance, Services & Innovation, UTS, Transport for NSW, iCare and Sydney Trains.
- Data Management, Privacy and Cyber Security – Wesfarmers, Aristocrat, Equifax, Big-4 banks, Canva, Data Republic, iCare and Alinta.
- Media – Fox Sports, Foxtel, Disney, News, oOh! Media, SBS and Prime Media Group.
- Technology, Innovation and Allens Accelerate – Samsung, Canva, WeWork, Uber, The Iconic, Stone & Chalk, Our Innovation Fund, Big-4 banks, and various award-winning high-growth companies including Data Republic, OCR Labs, Playground xyz, HealthMatch and AgriDigital.
- Telecommunications – nbn, Vodafone and Speedcast.
Valeska has a Master of Laws in IT, media and communications from UNSW. She is co-author of Thomson Reuters' Laws of Australia 'Internet Law' sub-title, having previously updated the 'Radiocommunications' sub-title in the same publication.
Valeska is on the firm's Inclusion and Diversity Council and Women at Allens committee.