About Varun Bhatia
Varun specialises in superannuation and financial services regulation.
Varun has a depth of experience in advising superannuation funds and other financial institutions in relation to compliance with the Australian superannuation regulatory regime and financial services law. Varun has acted in relation to fund mergers, regulatory and compliance matters (including regulatory change projects), major outsourcing arrangements and regulatory breaches, incidents and disputes. He has acted for major industry funds, retail funds, exempt public sector schemes and corporate superannuation funds across accumulation and defined benefit arrangements.
Highlights of Varun's experience include:
- HESTA, Equipsuper, Cbus, AustralianSuper, MLC Super Fund, Australia Post Superannuation Scheme, Toyota Super – advised clients on a number of key strategic fund mergers in the Australian superannuation industry.
- Cbus, Equipsuper – advised clients on high profile and complex court proceedings in response to legislative change which created existential threat to industry funds.
- Major super funds – advised a range of Australia’s leading superannuation funds in relation to compliance with superannuation regulation, licensing and other matters for defined benefit and accumulation arrangements.
- Major super funds – advised on core service provider agreements such as investment management agreements, custodian agreements and services agreements.
- Fund managers – advised clients on the establishment of investment fund vehicles, Australian financial services licensing and distribution arrangements.
- Offshore investment funds – advised clients on formation, legal and regulatory compliance, restructuring and termination of different types of Cayman Islands alternative investment fund vehicles.