About Jessica Choong
Jessica is a Partner in the Corporate practice group in Melbourne.
She is a highly experienced corporate lawyer, specialising in mergers and acquisitions. Her practice is focused on advising institutional investor clients (fund managers, superannuation funds and sovereign wealth funds), including on competitive sales processes and privatisations, and in the infrastructure sector. She has advised across a range of high-profile and cross-border transactions, and is also experienced in corporate advisory and corporate governance matters for financial sponsors and ASX-listed entities.
Jessica spent three years on secondment in Singapore, where she worked closely with a range of Australian and foreign clients on their inbound and outbound investments across the Asia-Pacific region.
Her transactional experience includes advising:
- AustralianSuper – on its acquisition of a 70% stake in Optus Towers for $1.9 billion.
- Keppel Infrastructure Trust – on its acquisition of chemicals business Ixom for $1.1 billion.
- ANZ – on the simplification of its Wealth Australia business, including the sale of its life insurance business for $2.85 billion.
- Rest – on its acquisition of a one-third stake in Sydney's Quay Quarter Tower redevelopment for approximately $900 million.
- Rest, Hostplus and other investors – on their investment in Campus Living Villages.
- Aware Super – on its acquisition of an interest in Two Melbourne Quarter (jointly with Lendlease's Australian Prime Property Fund Commercial) and on its acquisition of a 90% interest in Lendlease Public Infrastructure Investment, which holds a 50% interest in the New Bendigo Hospital, Sunshine Coast University Hospital and Sydney International Convention, Exhibition and Entertainment Precinct PPP projects.
- JANA Investment Advisers – on the management buy-out of a 55% majority stake in the JANA asset management business from NAB.
- NSW Land and Property Information – advising the financiers of a consortium bidder for the NSW LPI privatisation.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board – on its A$3.4 billion take-private of Intoll Group, its A$7.5 billion take-private of Macquarie Communications Infrastructure Group and its proposed take-private of Transurban Group.
- Standard Chartered Private Equity – on its acquisitions and divestments of a number of Asia-Pacific and international investments.
- OpenSpace Ventures – on its investment in ASX-listed cloud platform provider Whispir.
- Blackhawk Network – on various acquisitions including its acquisition of Edge Loyalty Systems from Village Roadshow, and its acquisitions of Digital Glue and Solterbeck Performance.
- Automotive Brands Group – on the sale of the business to Metcash, subsequent bolt-on acquisitions and subsequent sale of the business to Bapcor.
- TABCORP – on the demerger and listing of Echo Entertainment Group from its wagering, gaming and keno businesses.
- CSL – on the corporate restructuring of Australian operations into standalone business units for plasma and vaccines/pharmaceuticals.
- Amcor – on its A$1.6 billion entitlement offer to fund the acquisition of certain Alcan packaging assets from Rio Tinto.
Jessica has participated in the CEW Leaders Program of Chief Executive Women. She is also a guest lecturer at Melbourne University Law School (Juris Doctor program) and is a member of the 'Gen A' young leaders platform of the Asia Society Australia.