About William Coote
Will specialises in large, complex technology and telecommunications projects and has a broad range of experience advising both corporate and government clients on mission-critical commercial transactions and technical regulatory issues.
Will has a particular focus on digital infrastructure and regularly advises owners and operators of mobile telecommunications networks, telecommunications towers businesses, data centres, satellite networks, fibre networks and alternative digital infrastructure assets on the key commercial arrangements which underpin the assets' values and the extensive regulatory framework in which they operate.
Will also has a focus on the defence and aerospace sector and has advised clients on significant commercial arrangements as well as regulatory issues relating to export controls and freedom of information.
In addition, Will has extensive experience advising media clients on their commercial arrangements (including content acquisition and licensing) and their obligations under applicable media regulations (including under the Online Safety Act and the Broadcasting Services Act).
Will's recent experience includes advising:
- AustralianSuper/Indara – in relation to the establishment of Indara Digital Infrastructure. This included advising in connection with:
- the purchase of 70% of Australia Tower Network from Singtel;
- the purchase and integration of Axicom Pty Ltd from a consortium of owners led by MIRA;
- the purchase of ENE.HUB from Brookfield; and
- Indara's commercial arrangements with the major mobile carriers.
- Globalstar – on the establishment of its presence in Australia and its purchase of three satellite ground stations from Pivotel.
- TPG – in relation to various regulatory issues relating to its mobile telecommunications business.
- Lumea (Transgrid) – in relation to its telecommunications business
- Airservices Australia – on numerous strategic matters including its procurement of a new enterprise-wide telecommunications network and on its arrangements with its prime contractor regarding the support services for its Civil Military Air Traffic Management System (CMATS).
- NSW Rural Fire Service – on its procurement of a Chinook Helicopter (and associated operation and maintenance services), an end-to-end managed service mobile data terminal hardware and software solution and a new AI-enabled bushfire fighting solution.
- Naval Group – in relation to the Attack Class Submarine Program, including its arrangements with the Commonwealth and all aspects of its supply chain.
- Anduril – on the establishment of its presence in Australia.
- TAB NZ – on all aspects of its 20 year, NZ$1bn+ Strategic Partnering Arrangements with Entain.
- News Corporation – on the establishment of 'Betr' (NTD Pty Ltd). This included advising on the 10-year, exclusive contract with Betmakers Limited for the provision of wagering platform technology and managed trading services. Will has also advised News Corporation in relation to the acquisition of Sky News, on the establishment of a JV with Nine Entertainment Co for a new television channel and in relation to the sale of The West Australian.