About Chelsey Drake
Chelsey is a corporate governance, capital markets and M&A specialist. She currently sits on the Australian Government's Takeovers Panel.
Chelsey regularly provides corporate governance advice to the boards, general counsels and other executives of both listed and major unlisted companies regarding Corporations Act and ASX Listing Rule requirements, as well as their industry specific and general law obligations.
Chelsey has worked closely with many of her clients on difficult continuous disclosure issues. She has represented their interests in discussions with corporate regulators including ASIC, ASX and the Takeovers Panel. She regularly assists clients with preparations for their annual general meetings and is a co-author of the Law Council of Australia's submission to CAMAC on the topic of 'The AGM and Shareholder Engagement.
Chelsey has played a lead role in a number of significant M&A transactions. Typically she has run these transactions – led negotiations on transaction documents and with relevant regulators, co-ordinated due diligence and the use of other specialists and worked closely with the client on successfully closing the transaction. Her transaction experience includes:
- QIC's sale of Queensland Motorways – working with QIC on the sale of the Queensland Motorways' toll road portfolio, via a competitive auction process, to Transurban for A$7.1 billion.
- Queensland government privatisations – advising the Queensland government on the A$6.7 billion IPO and ASX listing of QR National, the $1.8 billion long term lease of the Abbot Point coal terminal to the Adani Group and the potential long term lease of the SunWater industrial pipelines business.
- Shell's takeover of Arrow Energy – advising Shell on its initial US$771 million investment in Arrow Energy's CSG acreage, on the establishment of an LNG joint venture with PetroChina and on that joint venture's A$3.4 billion takeover of Arrow Energy by way of scheme of arrangement.
- QIC's acquisition of MAPS – working with QIC on its successful bid to acquire the Moomba to Adelaide Pipeline System from APA Group.
- Talbot Group asset disposal – assisting the Talbot Group with the disposal of the group's various assets which include strategic stakes in ASX listed companies as well as a majority share of the Revuboe coal mining project in Mozambique.