About Michael Graves
Michael specialises in commercial property development and infrastructure projects. His expertise includes advising developers, investors and financiers of real estate and infrastructure projects on risk allocation, divestment, acquisition, development and ownership/ investment structures, complex leases, finance and security arrangements and subdivision issues.
Michael also has extensive experience in the area of renewable energy having advised some of Australia and the world's leading renewable energy companies on the development of solar and wind farms throughout Australia.
Michael is consistently recognised in various client and peer surveys as a leading individual in Real Estate, including in Chambers Asia Pacific and Best Lawyers. The Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 guide described Michael as "really good, very proactive, hard-working, innovative and solutions-driven".
Michael's experience includes:
- CBRE Global Investors – on the acquisition and development of 118 Mount Street, North Sydney on a fund through basis for approximately $350 million. Once completed, the 29 storey A-grade building will be Zurich's Australian headquarters.
- Rest – on its acquisition of a one-third stake in Sydney's Quay Quarter Tower redevelopment for approximately $900 million. Rest joined two AMP Capital managed funds with equal stakes in the $2.7 billion project, which will see the existing AMP Centre tower and two Circular Quay blocks redeveloped into a 50-level premium grade skyscraper.
- CBRE Global Investors – on its acquisition of an officer tower located at 120 Spencer Street, Melbourne.
- ExxonMobil - advising in relation to the sale of Esso House and the development and leasing of its new Australian head office premises at 664 Collins Street, Melbourne.
- Bayerische Versorgungskammer (BVK) – advising German pension fund BVK and Universal Investment Gesellschaft mbH in relation to the acquisition of South Wharf Tower, a premium office tower located in Melbourne, from Deka-ImmobilienGlobal.
- Woolworths Shopping Centres and Speciality Stores – advising Woolworths in relation to the development of shopping centres, supermarkets petrol stations, hardware stores and mixed use
- Peters Ice Cream – advising on the sale to Charter Hall and leaseback of the Peters Ice Cream food processing, warehouse and administration facility located in Mulgrave, Victoria.
- Goldman Sachs – advising in relation to the establishment of a new $1.5 billion student accommodation joint venture with Blue Sky Private Real Estate and the development of student accommodation facilities throughout Australia.
- Development Victoria –
- advising the Victorian Government's Urban Renewal Authority, Places Victoria, in relation to the divestment of 645 hectares of green fields across three residential estates situated within Melbourne's main growth corridors; and
- advising Places Victoria in relation to a range of residential projects, including Aurora, Altona, Avondale Heights, Officer, Parkside, Riverwalk, Valley Lake and Tower Hill.
- Stockyard Hill Wind Farm (Vic) – advising Goldwind in relation to the acquisition and development of this 500 MW project.
- Moorabool Wind Farm (Vic) – advising Goldwind in relation to the development of this 320 MW project.
- AGL – advising AGL in relation to the sale of its 102 MW Nyngan (NSW) and 53 MW Broken Hill (NSW) solar plants and its 200 MW Silverton Wind Farm (NSW) to the Powering Australia Renewables Fund.
- First Solar – in relation to the development and divestment of solar farms throughout Australia.
- Macarthur Wind Farm (Vic) – advising AGL and Meridian Energy Limited on the development and divestment of the A$1 billion Macarthur Wind Farm project;
- Acciona Energy – on the development of wind and solar farms throughout Australia.
- Granville Harbour Wind Farm (Tas) – advising Westcoast Wind in relation to the development and divestment of this 109MW project.
- Bald Hills Wind Farm (Vic) – advising Mitsui on the development and financing of its Bald Hills Wind Farm project.
- Roaring 40s – advised Roaring 40s on the 140MW Woolnorth Bluff Point and Studland Bay Wind Farms (Tas), the 111MW Waterloo Wind Farm (Tas) and the 168MW Musselroe Wind Farm (Tas).
- Etihad Stadium – advising Melbourne Stadiums Limited in relation to various issues arising out of the development and operation of Etihad Stadium, including the integration of the stadium with numerous mixed use developments to be carried out on land adjacent to the stadium.
- Esso – advising Esso in relation to the Longford Pipeline Replacement Project. involving the construction of a $400 million, 187 km pipeline to transports crude oil and condensate between its facilities at Longford and Long Island Point.
- Sydney Desalination Plant – advising Ontario Teachers Pension Plan and Hastings in relation to the acquisition of the Sydney Desalination Plant. This work involved negotiating a long term lease of the plant and numerous licences and easement agreements.