About Tristan Iredell
Tristan specialises in advising clients on the development of major projects across the infrastructure, energy, resources and oil and gas sectors in Australia and Asia Pacific.
As a projects, construction and procurement specialist, Tristan advises project companies, sponsors, contractors and financiers on the procurement, development, financing and operation of a wide variety of projects. He has extensive experience advising clients on project structuring and advice, and has previously practiced in construction contract dispute resolution.
Tristan has particular expertise in advising clients in respect of project development agreements, including engineering and procurement contracts (EPC, EPCM, FEED and ECI) as well as other construction, procurement and concession documentation. He is experienced in preparing and negotiating bespoke and international standard contracts (including the FIDIC and Australian Standards suites) for specific and complex projects.
A selection of Tristan's experience includes:
Infrastructure and civil construction (including ports)
- Advising Peth Airport and preparing a bespoke suite of contracts for construction, development, supply, services and related agreements for its development projects on airport land as well as advising on specific airport development projects.
- Acting for defence contractor Phoenix International (Australia) on the development of the new, strategically significant submarine rescue facility in Western Australia.
- Advising the Project Company on the agreements for the design, development and facilities management of new student accommodation facilities at Curtin University.
- Acting for Multiplex and negotiating the construction contracts on the development of the Quay Quarter Tower, part of the $2.7 billion Quay Quarter development at Circular Quay, Sydney.
- Advising the developer/operator on the Midland Health Campus, an innovative mixed public/private hospital project, involving aspects of PPP and alliance contracting.
- Acting for the project company on the construction and financing of Pengerang Terminal Phase 2 at the RAPID Development in Johor, Malaysia, including the construction of significant storage capacity, terminal facilities and a new deepwater jetty.
Energy and resources (including renewables)
- Acting for Core Lithium across all aspects of its proposed lithium mine and associated development, including procurement and financing strategy and documentation.
- Advising AngloGold Ashanti on the Tropicana Gold Project, including drafting and advising on EPCM, supply, construction and other ancillary contracts and providing legal advice on contract administration.
- Advising Rio Tinto on development of its Western Range mine, including advising on procurement strategy for the engineering, procurement and construction of the project.
- Acting as advisor to the developer on the Balla Balla pit-to-port project, including on procurement strategy and other ancillary and subcontracts required to deliver the project.
- Advising First Solar on the development of the 87MW Beryl solar PV farm in New South Wales.
- Advising LafargeHolcim on preparing and negotiating FEED, EPC, construction and supply agreements for new production plants and expansion projects in India, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
- Advising the financiers on the development, financing and construction of the 50MW Tsetsii Wind Farm in Mongolia.
- Advising sponsors and financiers on a number of separate hydropower projects in Laos, Thailand, Indonesia and Nepal.
Oil and gas
- Advising Woodside on the expansion of its Pluto LNG Train 2 facility in Western Australia, including preparing, advising on and negotiating FEED, EPC and ancillary contracting arrangements and related advice.
- Advising AWE on the development of the Waitsia Stage 2 project for the development of the Perth Basin, including advising on and drafting agreements for the engineering, procurement and construction of facilities.
- Advising Long Son Petrochemicals Company on the procurement, development and financing of its US$7 billion petrochemical complex in Ba Ria-Vung Tau, Vietnam.
- Acting for the project company on the development of LNG Train-3 for the Sakhalin LNG facility, including advising on and drafting EPC contracts and ancillary contracts.
Tristan previously spent six months on secondment to the in-house legal team of a major international gold producer, giving him valuable industry and commercial insight.
He also spent just over three and a half years in the Projects and Project Finance group at a UK magic circle firm based in Singapore where he acted for project companies, sponsors, contractors, banks and export credit agencies on a wide variety of project matters in the Asia Pacific region.