About James Kanabar
James specialises in funds management across a broad range of asset classes, including infrastructure, private equity, real estate, renewable energy and agriculture, acting for and advising Australian and offshore fund sponsors on the establishment and restructure of collective investment schemes (including AMITs and withholding MITs), capital raisings, investment management and advisory arrangements and financial services licensing, and for institutional investors and sovereign wealth funds on fund investments (including co-investments) and direct investments.
Before joining Allens, James worked in Linklaters' London office for five years.
James' experience includes advising:
- Pacific Equity Partners – establishment of the PEP Secure Assets Fund (its first infrastructure fund) and PEP Fund VI.
- Global Infrastructure Partners – acquisition (as part of a consortium) of Asciano Limited, the establishment and ongoing operation of the GIP Australia Fund and its acquisition (as part of a consortium) of the Port of Melbourne.
- Brookfield – establishment and ongoing operation of an open-ended core-plus real estate fund.
- Goodman Group – capital raisings (including a rights issue and distribution reinvestment plan), on the regulation and ongoing operation of its flagship wholesale property partnership, and on a number of acquisitions and co-investments.
- Future Fund – investments in a broad range of wholesale funds (including private equity and debt funds), and on a number of separate account and co-investment arrangements.
- Morgan Stanley Infrastructure – syndication of a portion of its interest (as part of a consortium) in PEXA.
- MLC Super – investments in a broad range of wholesale funds.
- Potentum Partners – the establishment of their business and on Australian financial services licensing.
- AGL – formation of its Powering Australian Renewables Fund and the acquisition of assets by the PARF.
- Brisbane Airport as consortium counsel – co-ownership arrangements between, among others, IFM, QIC, Colonial First State Global Asset Management, AustralianSuper and Schiphol Group.
- Alinta Energy – the proposed equity sell-down of a wind farm.
- Charter Hall – establishment of the Charter Hall Counter Cyclical Trust and on a number of capital partnerships.
- Hostplus – investments in a number of private equity funds.
- Logos, Mirvac and PSP – a number of real estate capital partnerships.
- Sunsuper – acquisition of an interest in Birmingham airport and an interest in Bristol airport, and on its acquisition of an interest in Origin's smart metering business.
- TCorp – acquisition of an interest in Associated British Ports.
- DUET Group – a number of capital raisings, on its 2015 acquisition of Energy Developments Limited, and on its 2017 sale by way of schemes of arrangement and a trust scheme.
- Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets – restructure of and capital raising for the Macquarie Pastoral Fund.