About Richard Lilly
Richard specialises in commercial dispute resolution, with particular experience and expertise in the disputes that arise in energy and resources industries.
Richard has advised mining companies, oil and gas producers, proponents of power projects, major contractors and other major corporations in a range of contentious matters, including superior Court litigation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution. Richard also has significant experience advising and assisting clients with investigations, whether conducted by regulators or at the client's request in response to an incident or major commercial risk.
Richard's work includes major project disputes, joint venture and shareholder disputes, disputes under offtake agreements, insurance claims, regulatory disputes, competition law advice and defending class actions. He has been recommended for construction law, litigation and alternative dispute resolution variously by the Asia Pacific Legal 500, Doyles and Best Lawyers.
The clients that Richard advises benefit from his strategic, commercial and pragmatic approach to dispute resolution.
Richard’s previous experience includes:
- ATCO Australia – acting in Supreme Court of Victoria proceedings arising out of the circumstances of a major asset acquisition.
- Atlas Iron – acting in a strategically critical Wardens Court trial against a major mining company regarding the alignment of a haul road.
- BC Iron – acting in major Supreme Court proceedings against a construction and property development company in relation to its mining services contract on the Nullagine Project, and responding to security of payment applications.
- Black Oak Minerals – acting for receivers in litigation and Wardens Court applications in relation to the sale of mining tenements.
- Brickworks – defending Supreme Court proceedings brought by a contractor to Pemberton Sawmill.
- CITIC – acting in Supreme Court proceedings concerning the Sino Iron Project.
- Coolgardie Minerals – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against a subsidiary of Bulletin Resources in relation to a mining proposal.
- Cooper Energy – acting in relation to litigation against Grup Servicii Petroliere regarding drilling work on an oil and gas project in Tunisia.
- Crown – acting in the Perth Casino Royal Commission.
- Ensco – advising on issues associated with a drill rig breaking its moorings on the Wheatstone Project, including acting in Supreme Court proceedings.
- FerrAus – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against a major mining company in relation to rail access.
- Forum Energy Technologies – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against an oil and gas services company.
- Griffin Power – acting in Supreme Court proceedings regarding a power supply agreement.
- Maas Group – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against CES Mining Services regarding disputes arising from a business acquisition.
- Quintis – defending three shareholder class actions in the Federal Court.
- Sumitomo – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against the Australian Energy Market Operator in relation to a dispute under the Wholesale Electricity Market Rules, acting in Supreme Court proceedings against contractors, and acting in Supreme Court proceedings regarding a power supply contract.
- Western Power – acting in Supreme Court litigation concerning fraud allegations against a contractor.