About Andrew Maher
Andrew manages complex commercial disputes for clients in the natural resources, financial services, professional services, manufacturing and government sectors. He conducts superior court litigation, regulatory investigations, arbitrations and other alternative dispute resolution processes throughout Australia.
Andrew's practice includes conducting high-value property and liability insurance claims and advising clients on their risk management and insurance programs, including the insurance issues affecting acquisitions and other commercial agreements.
Some examples of Andrew's experience are:
- Arbitrations: representing oil and gas producers in price reviews and arbitrations under long term gas supply contracts and a telecommunications company in an international arbitration concerning its disputed development of a new mobile telecommunications network;
- Insurance claims: acting for various resources and manufacturing clients with property and liability insurance claims arising from catastrophic events and defending a multi-million dollar contract works coverage dispute arising from the development of a significant commercial office site;
- Financial services litigation: acting for a national bank in multiple proceedings arising from a failed managed investment scheme and another national bank in public interest litigation concerning the enforceability of standard loan and guarantee arrangements;
- Regulatory investigations and inquiries: appearing for the Insurance Council of Australia in the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission and representing clients in investigations and associated litigation by ASIC, ACCC and other Australian and international regulators;
- Professional services litigation: defending litigation brought against engineering, construction, accounting, financial advisory and law firms concerning the provision of allegedly negligent and misleading professional advice;
- Class actions: representing a LNG producer in threatened and pending class actions arising from a significant landslide at a project site overseas;
- Corporations Act disputes: acting for a multi-national product manufacturer in statutory oppression proceedings brought against it by the minority shareholders of its Australian subsidiary and a mining client in resisting attempts by an activist shareholder to exert disproportionate influence over the management of the company; and
- Product liability: defending numerous group and individual personal injury claims brought against a multi-national product manufacturer and acting for various suppliers in connection with product recalls and associated litigation.
Key to Andrew's success as a commercial litigator has been his ability to develop longstanding 'trusted advisor' relationships with his clients through his deep understanding of their businesses and commercial objectives and his strategic approach to the delivery of successful and cost effective matter outcomes.