About Mark Malinas
Mark is a Partner in the Allens Corporate group and is Co-Head of the firm's Private Equity practice. He is recognised as a leading lawyer in various legal directories including Chambers Asia Pacific, IFLR1000 and Legal500.
Mark's work is primarily focused on mergers and acquisitions, private equity buyouts and exits, corporate governance and securities law.
He has worked on numerous corporate transactions, providing strategic advice to both Australian and off-shore organisations, including public and private companies and private equity funds.
Notable corporate transactions include:
- Mitsubishi Corp – advising on its investment in acquiring a 40% stake in Australian Integrated Carbon Pty Ltd, a carbon farming developer (2021)
- Australian Unity – advising Australian Unity Ltd and Australian Unity Strategic Holdings on certain aspects related to the bid by the North West led consortium for Australian Unity Healthcare Property Trust (2021)
- QAF Ltd – advising on the sale of its Australian primary production businesses Rivalea and Oxdale Dairy to JBS (2021)
- Australian Unity – advising on its acquisition of independent living and aged care provider Greengate (2021)
- Hg Capital – advising portfolio company Litera, Inc on its acquisition of software business DocsCorp (2021)
- Vocus Group – advising on take-private proposal from Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets Holdings and Aware Super and agreed scheme of arrangement (2021)
- Australia Post – advising the Board on its response to an investigation into the proper use of public resources conducted by the Shareholder Ministers (2020)
- Hg Capital – advising on minority investment in Hyperion Insurance Group (2020)
- Engie – advising on acquisition of Hills of Gold Wind Farm (2020)
- TA Associates – advising on acquisition of insurance broking business Honan Insurance Group (2020)
- Advent International – advising portfolio company TSG on the bolt-on acquisition of MyXplor (2020)
- Experian – advising on acquisition of Australian fintech Look Who's Charging (2019)
- Advent International – advising on acquisition of payment systems business Transaction Services Group (2019)
- Vocus Group – response to take-private proposals from EQT Infrastructure and AGL Energy (2019).
- TPG Asia – acquisition of pathology business Safe Work Laboratories (2019)
- LifX – sale of Australian and US tech business to ASX-listed Buddy Platform (2019)
- Bakery Du Jour – sale of business to Nordic agri-business Lantmannen Unibake (2018)
- Goldman Sachs Asian Special Situations Group – sale of stake in Evolution Healthcare to Pacific Equity Partners (2018)
- Coles – demerger from Wesfarmers (2018)
- BGH Capital – take private proposal for Healthscope (2018)
- Bulletproof Networks – response to takeover bid by Macquarie Telecom, Takeovers Panel proceedings and merger with AC3 by way of scheme of arrangement (2018)
- Murray River Organics – response to shareholder activist group and associated extraordinary general meeting (2018).
- Vocus Group – corporate governance matters (2016-2018).
- ENGIE Renewables Australia – advising on various solar development projects (2017/2018).
- Westcoast Wind – advising on the sale of Westcoast Wind Pty Ltd (Granville Harbour Windfarm, Tasmania) to Palisade (2017/18).
- Freudenberg – acquisition of the Oates janitorial business from GUD Holdings (2017/2018).
- Development Victoria – sale of Fibre to the Home Network to RedTrain Networks (2017)
- Vocus Group – response to take-private proposals from KKR and Affinity (2017).
- Rivalea Australia – strategic review of Australian primary production business and preparation for ASX listing (2017).
- EBOS Group – $154m acquisition of pharmacy services business HPS from Blue Sky Private Equity (2017).
- First State Super – advised on its intra-consortium and equity arrangements in relation to its successful $2.6 billion bid with Hastings to operate a 35-year concession of the land titling and registry operations of New South Wales Land and Property Information (2017).
- OSK Group – $175m sell down of interest in Yarra City Park development company, developers of Melbourne Square, to Employee Provident Fund, Malaysia (2017).
- Apollo Management LP – on various Australian sale processes (2016-2017).
- Australia Post – acquisition of Mail Call Couriers from Aramex (2016).
- Australia Post – global e-commerce joint venture with Dubai headquartered logistics operator, Aramex, and transfer of Star Track International to the joint venture (2016).
- Moly-cop – acting for an undisclosed private equity bidder in the auction for Arrium's Moly-cop assets (2016).
- La Manna Group – acting on the merger with Premier Fruits Group to create a $500m revenue combined entity (2016).
- Vocus Communications – $807m acquisition of the telecommunications infrastructure assets of Nextgen and associated $652m equity capital raising (2016).
- Goldman Sachs Asian Special Situations Group – student accommodation joint venture with Blue Sky Private Equity and the acquisition of a student accommodation operator (2016).
- M2 Group – merger with Vocus Communications Ltd by scheme of arrangement (2015/2016).
- Freudenberg – acquisition of Ludowici Sealing Solutions (2015).
- OpenSpace – series A round in Whispir (2015).
- Healthscope – sale of Australian pathology business to Crescent Capital Partners (2015).
- M2 Group – bid for ASX-listed iiNet (2015).
- M2 Group – acquisition of Call Plus and 2Talk businesses (2015).
- Denso – acquisition of Petro Coating Systems (2015).
- GE – acting for an undisclosed bidder in the auctions for the GE A&NZ consumer finance business (2015) and the GE A&NZ commercial finance business (2015).
- Goldman Sachs Asian Special Situations Group – on a number of principal investments in the real estate, financial services and healthcare sectors (2014-2017).
- TIO – acting for an undisclosed bidder in the auction for the Territory Insurance Office's loan book (2014).
- Bendigo and Adelaide Bank – merger of Systems Payment Services into Cuscal (2014).
- Lazard Australia Private Equity – buyout (with management) of Skybridge (2014).
- Norcros plc – acting for the UK listed Norcros on the sale of its Australian business, Johnson Tiles (2014).
- Investec – acting for an undisclosed bidder in the auction for the Investec professional finance business (including its loan book) (2014).
- Catalyst Investment Managers – sale of Actrol Parts to Reece Limited (2013/2014).
- Banksia Mortgage Fund – solvent restructure of the Banksia Financial Group and sale of loan-book to Deutsche Bank AG (2013).
- the owners of AVEA Insurance – sale to the Presidian-led consortium (2013).
- the financiers to TPG – leveraged buyout of Ingham Enterprises (2013).
- Arle Capital Partners – leveraged buyout of Securency (2013).
- PZ Cussons – acquisition of Rafferty's Garden from Anacacia Capital (2013).
- Siemens – acquisition of the automated rail business of Invensys (2012/2013).
- the founders of Hardings Hardware – sale to Woolworths (2012/2013).
- Automotive Brands Group – sale of Autobarn to Metcash (2012).
- Allens – integrated alliance with Linklaters (2012).
- iSelect – takeover of ASX-listed Infochoice (2011).
- Solimar Energy – capital raising and listing on TSX-V (2011).
- Catalyst Investment Managers – leveraged buyouts of the privately held Actrol Parts business and AC Components/Metalflex (2010, 2011).
- Franklin Templeton – acquisition of Australian equities manager Balanced Equity Management (2011).
- CPPIB – take private of ASX-listed Intoll Group by scheme of arrangement (2010).
- National Australia Bank – bid for ASX-listed AXA Asia Pacific (2010).
- Bendigo and Adelaide Bank – staged buyout of Rural Bank (2009, 2010), alliance with Australia Post (2011), entitlement offer (2009) and hybrid raising (2014).
- Rio Tinto – proposed strategic alliance with Chinalco, takeover defence against BHP Billiton and US$15b capital raising (2007-2009).
- Pallinghurst Resources – private equity consortium's bid for ASX-listed Consolidated Minerals (2007).
- CSL – acquisition of ASX-listed Zenyth Therapeutics by scheme of arrangement (2006).
- Robert Bosch – takeover of ASX-listed Pacifica Group (2006).
- Acciona S.A. – takeover bid for ASX-listed Pacific Hydro (2005).
- WMC Resources – response to takeover bids by Xstrata and BHP Billiton (2004/2005).
- Tabcorp – takeover of ASX-listed Tab Ltd (2004).
Mark has an interest in the start-up space and regularly advises start-ups, venture capitalists and corporates on early stage capital raisings and shareholder arrangements via the Allens Accelerate platform.
He is heavily involved in the firm's business, including with the Linklaters alliance. He is a member of the Allens board and is Chair of the firm's remuneration committee. Mark is also a leader in driving innovation and LegalTech in the firm and for the benefit of clients.
Mark is an experienced legal project manager who takes a coordinated and commercial approach to running matters, managing costs, effective teaming, risk analysis and scheduling. His LPM expertise drives efficient legal and business outcomes for his clients. Mark has also undertaken formal LPM training by world-leading LPM expert, Susan Lambreth from the Legal Project Management Institute in the USA.
Mark is a member of the Australian Investment Council and a member of the Law Institute of Victoria..