About Carolyn Oddie
Carolyn has over 20 years of experience advising on competition and regulatory issues in Australia and South East Asia. She is recognised by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018 as a leading competition law practitioner.
Carolyn specialises in:
- mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures;
- structuring of alliances and advising on business conduct including authorisations and notifications;
- cartel immunity applications, investigations by the ACCC, Vietnam Competition Authority and other regulators;
- competition and consumer litigation by the ACCC and third parties;
- Australian Consumer Law, advertising and marketing issues and advertising clearance;
- competition audits and compliance; and
- regulatory issues including access, pharmaceutical and medical devices regulation.
Carolyn's recent experience includes:
- acting on the competition aspects of Brambles' global acquisition of the CEVA Logistics intermediate bulk container business Pallecon;
- acting for Cargill to obtain ACCC clearance of its acquisition of the commodity management business of AWB Limited (previously the Australian Wheat Board which held the statutory monopoly of Australian wheat export);
- acting on the competition aspects of Prudential's proposed acquisition of AIG;
- obtaining ACCC clearance for the merger of Schering Plough and Merck & Co;
- acting for Sanofi and Merck in relation to the regulatory aspects of their proposed worldwide animal health joint venture;
- acting in a major ACCC and NZCC investigation in the manufacturing industry including allegations of cartel conduct and dawn raids;
- acting for FOXTEL, News and Premier Media Group (Fox Sports) in successfully defending Federal Court proceedings brought by the Seven Network Limited and its subsidiary C7 Pty Ltd; and
- defending Emirates in proceedings commenced by the ACCC alleging that Emirates participated in a global air cargo cartel.
Carolyn's industry experience includes, agriculture, aviation, consumer products, e-commerce, electronics, energy, financial services, infrastructure, insurance, technology, manufacturing, mining and resources, media and pharmaceuticals.
Carolyn has been trained formally in Legal Project Management, most recently attending a full-day LPM workshop delivered by US legal project management expert Susan Raridon Lambreth. Carolyn's LPM expertise drives efficient legal and business outcomes for her clients.