About Chris Prestwich
Chris practices in commercial litigation, restructuring and insolvency and regulatory investigations.
He has acted for clients in relation to commercial disputes across a range of industries, including banking, infrastructure, private equity, telecommunications, mining and mining services, construction and media. Chris's recent litigation experience includes:
- Vodafone Hutchison Australia – acting for VHA in Federal Court proceedings against the ACCC seeking orders approving a proposed merger with TPG Telecom.
- Westpac – defending a test case brought by ASIC at first instance and on appeal in relation to whether personal advice had been provided on outbound superannuation consolidation calls.
- Sinopec – advising on claims arising out of the failure of the SNL Mining group.
- HLM Coal – acting for the minority shareholders of a coal exploration company in an oppression suit against a listed entity.
Chris advises financial institutions and borrowers in relation to distressed situations, including insolvency litigation, restructures and formal insolvency processes (including liquidations, schemes of arrangement, receiverships, administrations and deeds of company arrangement). His recent experience includes:
- Axsesstoday Limited – advising Cerberus Capital in relation to the acquisition and recapitalisation of Axsesstoday (an SME lender) through a deed of company arrangement.
- Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal – advising the lending syndicate in relation to the restructure of a $3.5 billion secured debt facility.
- Quintis Limited – acting for the bondholders and the receivers and managers of the Quintis group, a sandalwood plantation owner and manager, including in relation to the recapitalisation of the business through a deed of company arrangement and a creditors' scheme.
- Channel Ten – acting for the Commonwealth Bank of Australia in relation to its exposure to the Channel Ten group, including the appointment of receivers and managers.
- Callide C – advising Ferrier Hodgson as receivers and managers of the interest held by the Intergen Group in the Callide C power station.
- Reliance Rail – acting for Citibank N.A. as super senior hedge provider to a public private partnership for the construction of rolling stock.
- BrisConnections – advising the syndicate of lenders, and subsequently the receivers and managers of the operator of the Airport Link M7 toll road in Brisbane after it went into external administration with debts in excess of $3 billion.
- BIS Industries – acting for the senior lenders to BIS Industries in relation to the restructure of secured debt of over $700 million owed by a mining services provider.
Chris also advises financial institutions in relation to investigations by a range of regulators including ASIC and the ACCC.
Chris is the author of the Australian chapter of the Asset Tracing and Recovery Review.