About Monisha Sequeira
Monisha specialises in managing regulatory investigations and large-scale, complex commercial disputes, including class actions. Monisha has conducted litigation in various federal and state courts in Australia and the United States and has experience in alternative dispute resolution including arbitrations and mediations.
She has significant experience in matters concerning contract disputes for energy and resources companies, investigations and enforcement actions commenced by regulators such as the ATO in Australia and the SEC and the DOJ in the US, as well as class actions.
Monisha's experience includes:
Energy and Resources Disputes
- acting for CITIC in various WA Supreme Court proceedings arising from the $10 billion Sino Iron Project in Western Australia;
- advising Wesfarmers' coal division on the strategy and defence of a contract claim brought in the Supreme Court of Queensland in relation to rebates payable on metallurgical coal products;
- advising an energy supply company in a range of potential contract disputes with service providers and implementing risk mitigation strategies to avoid litigation; and
- acting for multinational oil and gas producers in a multi-million dollar gas price review and arbitration under a long term gas supply agreement.
Tax Investigations and Disputes
- advising a multinational mining and resources company in a regulatory investigation and action brought by the Commissioner of Taxation;
- acting for a multinational oil and gas company in an ATO audit; and
- acting for a private equity firm in an ATO investigation.
Investigations and Regulatory Enforcement Actions
- acting for an international bank in a regulatory investigation and enforcement proceeding brought by the SEC, resulting in a successful trial judgment for the bank; and
- acting for a broker dealer firm in a criminal investigation brought by the Department of Justice, which resulted in no action being taken against the firm.
- acting for a multinational pharmaceutical company in relation to a class action commenced in the Federal Court of Australia; and
- advising Adobe, Ariba, Expedia, Citibank and other entities in various securities class actions involving claims of market manipulation brought in state and federal courts in the United States.