About Tom Story
Tom Story is an M&A partner who leads the Allens Corporate practice group and is co-head of the Allens' Private Equity team. He is regularly sought out by leading companies and sponsors globally to advise on their most complex and significant acquisitions and divestments in the Australian market.
Tom is consistently recognised in both Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global as one of Australia's leading M&A and private equity lawyers. He is regarded as a strategic adviser to the private equity sector, with clients commenting: "I rate Tom very highly, I think he is a leader in Private Equity law in Australia. He talks with conviction, we trust his guidance"
Tom's recent experience includes:
- KKR – advised in relation to its agreement with Campbell Soup Company to acquire certain international operations from Campbell for $3.4 billion. The largest Australian private equity buyout of 2019.
- Bellamy's – advised on its acquisition by China Mengniu Dairy Company Limited for $1.5 billion by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Pacific Equity Partners – advised on the acquisition of Horizon Global Corporation's Asia Pacific business for $340 million.
- Cerberus Capital Management – advised on the acquisition of the business of Axsesstoday Limited.
- Pacific Equity Partners – advised on its acquisition of LifeHealthcare Limited by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Cerberus Capital Management – advised on its acquisition of Bluestone Group.
- APN Outdoor – advised on its acquisition by JCDecaux for $1.1 billion by way of scheme of arrangement.
- CK Hutchison Holdings – advised CKHH as a shareholder in Vodafone Hutchison Australia in relation to the $15 billion merger with TPG Telecom.
- Keppel Infrastructure Trust – advised on Keppel Infrastructure Trust acquisition of leading chemicals business Ixom from Blackstone for A$1.1 billion.
- Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners – advised on its participation in the Link consortium that acquired Property Exchange Australia Limited (PEXA) for $1.6 billion.
- Coles – advised Coles on the $16.6 billion demerger from Wesfarmers.
- Pacific Equity Partners – advised PEP on its $307 million public-to-private acquisition of ASX-listed Patties Foods by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Asciano Limited – advised the consortium led by GIP and CPPIB on the acquisition of Asciano Limited for cash consideration of $9.05 billion by way of a scheme of arrangement. This followed a competitive bidding process, which saw a number of proposals for the company.
- Equifax Inc. – advised Equifax on its $2.5 billion acquisition of Veda Group Limited by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Archer Capital – advised Archer Capital on its $938 million divestment of private hospital business Healthe Care to China's Luye Medical Group.
- HRL Morrison – advised HRL Morrison and its clients CSC and Infratil on their acquisition of Canberra Data Centres from Quadrant Private Equity and CDC founders.
- Frasers Centrepoint Limited – advised Frasers Centrepoint on its $2.6 billion off-market takeover of Australand Property Group.
- Wesfarmers Limited – advised Wesfarmers on the sale of its insurance broking businesses to AJ Gallagher for $1.01 billion.
- QIC Global Infrastructure – advised QIC Global Infrastructure on the sale of Queensland Motorways to a consortium involving Transurban, Australian Super and ADIA for $7.1 billion.
- Global Infrastructure Partners – advised GIP on the sale of 26.7% stake in the Port of Brisbane to The Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec for more than $1.3 billion.
- Q Port Holdings – advised the consortium comprising Global Infrastructure Partners, Industry Funds Management, QIC Global Infrastructure and ADIA on the $2.3 billion acquisition of the 99 year lease of the Port of Brisbane from the Queensland Government.