About Anita Thompson
Anita is a Managing Associate in our Competition, Consumer & Regulatory team.
Anita has particular expertise in acting for clients in investigations and court proceedings initiated by the ACCC in relation to mergers, cartels, misuse of market power, exclusive dealing and anti-competitive agreements. She also guides clients through complex ACCC merger clearance and authorisation applications, whilst advising clients across a number of industry sectors on competition law compliance issues.
Anita has represented clients in a range of industries, including financial services, media/ telecommunications and retail.
Major matters include:
- acting for Vodafone Hutchison Australia in Federal Court proceedings against the ACCC regarding the opposition of its proposed merger with TPG Telecom
- acting for a major Australian bank in relation to the ACCC foreign exchange market inquiry
- acting for an applicant in the media industry seeking immunity from the ACCC in relation to potential global cartel conduct
- acting for Metcash in successfully defending proceedings brought by the ACCC seeking to injunct its proposed acquisition of Franklins
- advising Fluidra S.A (a global swimming pool products company) on its informal clearance application in relation to its merger with Zodiac Pool Solutions
- acting for CIT Finance in successfully defending exclusive dealing and third line forcing proceedings brought by the ACCC as part of its case against Link Solutions and others, resulting in the claim being summarily dismissed.
Prior to becoming a lawyer Anita was a management consultant at Bain & Company, where she was worked on corporate strategy projects for a number of high profile clients.