About Robert Walker
Robert is a competition and consumer law expert.
He secures ACCC merger clearances, handles ACCC competition and consumer law investigations and litigation and manages responses to ACCC market studies and inquiries.
Robert supports clients to manage their competition and consumer law risk, advising on joint ventures, distribution arrangements and marketing and advertising clearances and is experienced in conducting compliance audits and designing compliance systems.
Robert acts as trusted advisor to major corporations in sectors including financial services and payments, telecommunications, healthcare, energy, oil & gas, mining, automotive, forestry and retail.
Robert has particular expertise in the financial services sector having advised on competition investigations involving syndicated loans, credit default swaps and commodities trading as well as acquisitions and divestments of retail branches, credit card portfolios and payments technologies. Lenders, issuers and lead managers regularly turn to Robert to advise on managing competition law risks in corporate lending as well as capital markets transactions involving equity, debt and hybrid securities.
Before joining Allens, Robert spent seven years with Linklaters LLP in both their London and Brussels offices. Robert has particular expertise advising international clients and firms to secure ACCC merger clearances on cross border transactions and to manage the Australian aspects of global antitrust investigations.
Robert is recognised as Up and Coming by Chambers and Partners, a Next Generation Partner by The Asia-Pacific Legal 500 and a Competition Future Leader by Who's Who Legal.
- Royal Dutch Shell plc for its $98 billion takeover of BG Group plc.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company for its US$ 62 billion acquisition of Shire plc.
- Visa Inc for its acquisition of Rambus Inc's payments portfolio.
- Hesperia and CFC Group for their sale of Midland Brick to BGC.
- British Columbia Investment Management Corporation for its acquisition of an interest in Glencore Agriculture.
- OneFortyOne Plantations for the vertical merger between its forest plantations and the Jubilee Highway sawmill.
- Hastings Funds Management and First State Super-led consortium for their $2.6 billion bid to operate the New South Wales land titling and registry service.
- Saint-Gobain SA for its US$ 3.21 billion acquisition of Sika AG's building chemicals business.
- BP for the global divestment of its LPG business.
- Vodafone Hutchison Australia in Federal Court proceedings against the ACCC regarding VHA's $15 billion merger with TPG.
- Australian Energy Council, Clean Energy Council and Energy Consumers Australia in Competition Tribunal proceedings seeking authorisation for the New Energy Tech Consumer Code.
- Ford Australia in its defence of proceedings brought by the ACCC alleging unconscionable and misleading conduct in relation to the application of consumer guarantees.
- Global investment banks on a number of significant ACCC cartel investigations.
- Digital platforms and media companies on ACCC competition and consumer law investigations.
- Retailers and franchisors on ACCC competition and consumer law investigations.
- Global investment in relation to the successfully closed European Commission investigation into credit default swaps.
- Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc on the EU clearance for the UK Government’s £45 billion aid package.
- Oil company in relation to the successfully closed European Commission platts oil benchmark investigation, including the initial dawn raid.
ACCC market studies and inquiries
- Digital platform services inquiry
- Ad tech inquiry
- Foreign currency conversion services inquiry
- New car retailing industry market study
- Dairy inquiry
Australian Consumer Law
Robert advises on all aspects of the Australian Consumer Law, including unfair contracts, consumer guarantees and misleading or deceptive conduct.
Robert is a graduate of the University of Melbourne and Sciences-Po, Paris. Robert has also completed post-graduate courses in competition economics at King's College London and the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
Robert is a member of the Competition and Consumer Committee of the Business Law Section of the Business Council of Australia. His recent speaking engagements include the RBB Economics Conference, Sydney (2018) and the ACCC/University of South Australia Competition Law and Economics Workshop (2017).