About Robert Walker
Robert is a competition and consumer law expert.
His practice spans:
- ACCC merger clearances for domestic and global deals
- Antitrust and consumer protection investigations and litigation
- ACCC market studies and inquiries
- Antitrust and consumer protection advice and compliance
Robert acts as trusted advisor to major corporations in sectors including financial services and payments, technology, telecommunications, healthcare, energy, oil & gas, mining, automotive, forestry and retail.
He is particularly sought after for his financial services expertise spanning fintech and payments, debt finance, capital markets, and structured products.
Robert spent seven years with Linklaters LLP in both their London and Brussels offices. He continues to work with international clients and firms to secure ACCC merger clearances on cross border transactions and to manage the Australian aspects of global antitrust investigations.
Robert is recognised for his competition law expertise by Chambers and Partners, Asia-Pacific Legal 500 and Who's Who Legal.
- Royal Dutch Shell plc for its $98 billion takeover of BG Group plc.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company for its US$ 62 billion acquisition of Shire plc.
- Visa Inc for its acquisition of Rambus Inc's payments portfolio.
- British Columbia Investment Management Corporation for its acquisition of an interest in Glencore Agriculture.
- OneFortyOne Plantations for the vertical merger between its forest plantations and the Jubilee Highway sawmill.
- Hesperia and CFC Group for their sale of Midland Brick to BGC.
Antitrust and consumer protection litigation
- Vodafone Hutchison Australia in Federal Court proceedings against the ACCC regarding VHA's $15 billion merger with TPG – the largest merger litigation in 10 years.
- Australian Energy Council, Clean Energy Council and Energy Consumers Australia in Competition Tribunal proceedings seeking authorisation for the New Energy Tech Consumer Code.
- Ford Australia in its defence of proceedings brought by the ACCC alleging unconscionable and misleading conduct in relation to the application of consumer guarantees.
Antitrust and consumer protection enforcement
- Global investment banks on a number of significant ACCC cartel investigations.
- Digital platforms and media companies on ACCC competition and consumer law investigations.
- Retailers and franchisors on ACCC competition and consumer law investigations.
ACCC market studies and inquiries
Robert has acted on high profile ACCC inquiries into the digital sector (digital platforms services inquiry and ad tech inquiry) and banking sector (foreign currency conversion services inquiry).
Robert is a graduate of the University of Melbourne and Sciences-Po, Paris. Robert has also completed post-graduate courses in competition economics at King's College London and the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.