Paul heads the Corporate Department of Allens and is the Practice Director of the Melbourne office. He has more than 20 years' corporate and commercial law experience in Australia, Asia and Europe.
His practice includes mergers and acquisitions, private equity, joint ventures, energy and infrastructure projects, corporate restructuring, corporate governance and corporate finance in a variety of industries.
Paul has advised on many large-scale projects and cross-border and domestic transactions for major Australian and international corporations, including many high-profile transactions in the energy and infrastructure sectors.
Transactions he has advised on include:
- CitySpring's $1.18 billion acquisition of Basslink;
- ANZ Infrastructure's acquisition of the Neerabup power station in WA;
- the development of the Waubra and Macarthur wind farms, which will be two of the largest in Australia;
- Acciona's development of the Adelaide desalination plant;
- the $1.46 billion sale of Southern Hydro to AGL;
- the $3.5 billion sale of Loy Yang Power to the GEA consortium;
- Orchard Petroleum's defence against the takeover bid by Crosby Capital;
- Acciona's $750 million takeover bid for Pacific Hydro;
- the establishment of the energy retail partnership of International Power and Energy Australia, and the subsequent buyout by International Power;
- the acquisition of various electricity companies including United Energy and Citipower;
- the $285 million sale of Freight Australia to Pacific National; and
- the worldwide alumina strategic alliance between Alumina Ltd and Alcoa.
Paul has also advised the ANZ Bank on acquisitions in Asia.
From 1997 to 2001, Paul was Managing Partner of the firm's Hong Kong office and head of its China practice, advising clients on their operations and investments in Hong Kong and Greater China. This included:
- the Hong Kong aspects of National Australia Bank's acquisition of MLC; and
- the establishment of Clear Channel Communication's advertising joint venture covering 28 cities in mainland China, and its subsequent float on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
Clients he has acted for include Acciona Energy; Acciona Agua; ANZ Bank; ANZ Infrastructure Services; Aquila; Bank of New York; Cadbury Schweppes; Clear Channel Communications; CLP Power; CS First Boston; Deutsche Asset Management; Hamersley Iron; Hutchison Whampoa; International Power; Keppel Infrastructure; Meridian Energy; National Australia Bank; RailAmerica; Singapore Power; Temasek; Tenix; TRUenergy; UBS Warburg and WMC.
In addition to a number of other directorships, Paul served as a Director of the Australian Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong for more than three years and chaired its China Committee and Legal and Tax Committee.
Paul is a regular commentator on corporate governance issues.
Areas of Expertise
- Focus - 18 December 2012