Jillian specialises in planning and environment law, and her practice involves assisting clients in a range of sectors to comply with environmental laws and secure outcomes through approvals processes.
Jillian works primarily in the energy, resources, transport, waste, water, urban development and industrial sectors.
Jillian's recent work has included assisting clients to successfully navigate land access and approvals processes for major infrastructure development projects in Victoria. Jillian also regularly assists government clients with projects and transactions in the waste and water sectors.
On the private sector side, Jillian assists proponents to realise a range of developments by advising on strategic and statutory planning, native title, Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal heritage, EPBC and land contamination remediation matters.
She also helps clients in a range of other sectors, primarily energy and manufacturing, to address any environmental issues that may arise, as quickly and cost-efficiently as possible. Generally these relate to planning issues, pollution incidents, contaminated land, industrial waste management and biodiversity/native vegetation. Recently, Jillian has assisted a number of clients to deal with contractual disputes and compliance issues arising from regulatory changes relating to PFAS.
Jillian's practice also extends to sustainability and climate change. Recently Jillian has helped clients to comply with emissions reporting legislation, negotiate contractual risk allocation in relation to carbon-related risks, as well as helping clients to manage the physical impact of climate change on infrastructure and planning processes.
Jillian’s relevant experience includes:
- Stockyard Hill Wind Farm – advising Goldwind on planning and other regulatory matters for this project, the largest wind farm in the southern hemisphere.
- Cattle Hill Wind Farm – advising Powerchina on the acquisition of Cattle Hill Wind Farm project in Tasmania.
- Snowy 2.0 – advising Snowy Hydro on native title and other approvals aspects of the Snowy 2.0 project.
- Ranger Uranium Mine – advising ERA in relation to regulatory and approvals aspects of the Ranger Uranium Mine project, in particular in connection with the closure and rehabilitation of the mine site and the future use of Jabiru township.
- Bald Hills Wind Farm – advising Infrastructure Capital Group on planning permit compliance matters, as well as an investigation into alleged nuisance under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic).
- Greenfields Divestments – advising Development Victoria in relation to planning and environmental issues for greenfield development estates, including Aurora Estate, Officer and Valley Lake.
- Ford – advising in relation to environmental and planning issues for its Broadmeadows and Geelong sites.
- X-Elio – representing X-Elo before a planning panel convened to consider two planning permit applications in respect of utility scale solar projects in the Shepparton area called in by the Minister for Planning.
- Newcrest – in relation to the proposed Wafi-Golpu gold mine in Papua New Guinea;
- Webb Dock Redevelopment – advising the Port of Melbourne Corporation on land access and approvals issues in connection with the redevelopment of Webb Dock as an international container terminal.
- Melbourne Airport's Runway Development Program – advising Australia Pacific Airports Corporation on land access, environmental impact assessment and environmental approvals issues.
- CarbonNet – advising on the planning and environment approvals required for offshore geosequestration exploration activities as part of the CarbonNet project.
- nbn – representing nbn in relation to planning appeals in respect of the development of new towers as part of the national nbn rollout.
- Port of Hastings – advising the Port of Hastings Development Authority on various regulatory matters, including statutory requirements under the Port Management Act and the Transport Integration Act.
- Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery Group – advising MWRRG on a range of waste management arrangements, including landfilling, transfer stations, the receival and processing of organic waste, and the potential alternative treatment of residual waste.
- Australian Paper – providing environmental and planning advice on the operation of the Maryvale Paper Mill in Victoria's Latrobe Valley.
- Yarra Valley Water – advising on site selection and land access matters for proposed new infrastructure in Melbourne's northern suburbs.
- Former Lilydale Quarry – advising on the planning and environmental issues associated with the redevelopment of the former Sibelco Lilydale quarry as a new transport-oriented community.
- Compulsory acquisition – advising a range of clients on compulsory acquisition of their sites for infrastructure and other government projects.
- Contaminated sites – assisting a range of clients to transact, cleanup and redevelop contaminated sites.
Areas of Expertise
- Environment & Planning
- Renewable Energy
- Climate Change
- Real Estate (Sector)
Recent News & Publications
- Media - 17 October 2018
- Client Update: New third-party enforcement rights in the Victorian Environment Protection Amendment Act 2018Client Update - 15 October 2018
- Client Update - 2 October 2018
- Focus - 26 June 2018
- Client Update - 31 May 2018