Jonathan specialises in commercial dispute resolution and litigation, with a particular emphasis on construction disputes, international and domestic arbitration and insurance and reinsurance. Jonathan also has significant experience in the defence of shareholder class actions and large, general commercial disputes.
Whilst being based in the firm's Sydney office, Jonathan has also spent time in the firm's Singapore office and has conducted a number of disputes with an Asia-Pacific focus.
Jonathan's strength is understanding factually complex matters quickly and providing pragmatic and commercial advice for the resolution of disputes. Jonathan is known for his responsiveness and the efficient way in which he runs matters. Jonathan has also been formally trained in Legal Project Management.
Jonathan's relevant experience includes:
- advising Nghi Son Refinery and Petrochemical LLC, a joint venture company constructing the largest oil refinery in Vietnam, a US$9 billion mega-project.
- defending a publicly listed Japanese oil and gas company in an international arbitration brought by a contractor concerning delay and extension of time claims in relation to the supply of an FPSO.
- defending an Indonesian pipeline operator in an international arbitration concerning the tariff to be paid by shippers for gas transportation services.
- defending an Australian publicly listed oil exploration and production company in an international arbitration concerning a defective offshore drilling rig.
- acting for an Australian publicly listed gold miner in various disputes with a contractor over defects in the construction of a processing plant.
- acting for one of Australia's largest institutional investment managers in a significant NSW Supreme Court proceeding with the builder over a retail redevelopment project.
- advising policy holders and major regional insurers on indemnity under D&O (including investigation and securities claims cover), FIPI, Contracts Works, Warranty & Indemnity and other specialty insurance products.
- acting for Unitas in defence of claims brought by Asahi in the Federal Court of Australia concerning allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct in the course of the acquisition of the Independent Liquor Business by Asahi from Unitas and Pacific Equity Partners.
- acting in defence of Aristocrat Leisure Ltd, Leighton Holdings Ltd, Vocation Ltd and QBE Insurance Group Ltd in shareholder class actions.
Areas of Expertise