About Adrian Chek
Adrian is one of Australia's leading stamp duty advisers. He is also an expert in GST, income tax, capital gains tax and indirect taxes.
Adrian has advised on the stamp duty, GST and tax issues on a large range of matters for corporates, property trusts and financial institutions including mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructures, property trust floats, the establishment of wholesale property trusts; infrastructure acquisitions, landholder stamp duty, finance transactions, resettlement, employee remuneration, and various State taxes including land tax.
Some specific major transactions in which he has provided stamp duty, GST and/or tax advice include the:
- integration of St. George Bank with Westpac;
- demerger of the Shopping Centres Australasia Property Group by Woolworths;
- acquisition of Coles by Wesfarmers;
- internalisation of GPT
- the float and subsequent sale of the GPT Metro Office Fund;
- merger of FOXTEL and Fox Sports for News Limited;
- Gold Coast Rapid Transit Project and the Sydney Metro Project for Plenary;
- float of BT Investment Management by Westpac;
- merger of First State Super with VicSuper;
- sale of Australian real estate portfolio by Morgan Stanley and Investa; and
- sale and leaseback of BP retail service station portfolio, including selldown of 49% interest to Charter Hall.
Other major matters include the purchase of RAMS franchising by Westpac; the Sydney Airport rail link purchase; the float of the Trafalgar Property Group; various project and infrastructure financings including Sydney Airport, Lane Cove Tunnel and the Victorian Prisons PPP; the sale of Bankstown Square Shopping Centre; the purchase of the Park Hyatt Hotel; the float of Cable and Wireless Optus; the Adelaide to Darwin Railway project; and the restructure of Fox Studios.
Adrian is a member of the Law Society of NSW / Revenue NSW Liaison Committee and the Property Council of Australia NSW Taxation and Indirect Tax Committees. He was named in the 2011 - 2020 (inclusive) lists of Best Lawyers in the practice area of Taxation.