About Adrian Chek
Adrian is one of Australia's leading stamp duty advisers. He is also an expert in GST, income tax, capital gains tax and indirect taxes.
Adrian has advised on the stamp duty, GST and tax issues on a variety of issues and matters for corporates, property trusts and financial institutions including issues relating to mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructures, property trust floats, the establishment of wholesale property trusts; infrastructure acquisitions, landrich stamp duty, finance transactions, resettlement, employee share and option schemes, employee remuneration, and various State taxes including land tax.
Some specific major transactions in which he has provided stamp duty, GST and/or tax advice include the:
- integration of St.George Bank with Westpac;
- demerger of the Shopping Centres Australasia Property Group by Woolworths;
- acquisition of Coles by Wesfarmers;
- internalisation of GPT;
- ALE float (of the Foster's hotel properties);
- Gold Coast Rapid Transit Project and the Defence Services Accommodation Project for Plenary
- float of BT Investment Management by Westpac; and
- original acquisition of the Cross City Tunnel.
Other major matters include the purchase of RAMS franchising by Westpac; the Sydney Airport rail link purchase; the float of the Trafalgar Property Group; various project and infrastructure financings including Sydney Airport, Lane Cove Tunnel and the Victorian Prisons PPP; the sale of Bankstown Square Shopping Centre; the purchase of the Park Hyatt Hotel; the float of Cable and Wireless Optus; the Adelaide to Darwin Railway project; and the restructure of Fox Studios.
Adrian is a member of the Law Society of NSW / NSW Office of State Revenue Liaison Committee and a member of the Taxation Institute of Australia. He was named in the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 lists of Best Lawyers in the practice area of Taxation.