Mark specialises in large-scale energy and resources projects and transactions, including advising on and negotiating incorporated and unincorporated joint ventures, acquisitions, disposals, commodity sale and purchase agreements, and business restructuring and marketing arrangements.
Mark has acted on transactions involving interests and assets in Australia, Asia, North and South America, Africa and Europe.
Some of Mark's more recent transactional assignments include advising:
- Rio Tinto – on numerous significant strategic transactions such as the proposed US$20 billion strategic alliance with Chinalco, the defence of the US$107 billion failed BHP Billiton takeover offer, the extension of the Channar iron ore joint venture with Sinosteel in Western Australia, the proposed Simandou iron ore project in Guinea, the US$1.6 billion divestment of its Corumbá iron ore mine in Brazil, the Oyu Tolgoi copper/gold project in Mongolia and the acquisition of a 50 per cent interest in the Hope Downs Iron Ore Project in Western Australia.
- La Mancha – on its A$166 million acquisition of Alacer Gold Corp.'s interests in the Frog's Leg gold mine and two exploration joint ventures.
- Osaka Gas – on its interest in the Crux Project off the coast of Western Australia, including the arrangements with Shell and Nexus Energy for a Shell-led integrated gas and liquids development to commercialise the Crux asset.
- A Commonwealth Bank-led syndicate of lenders on a transaction financing for US$130 million for BC Iron Nullagine Pty Ltd on the acquisition of a 25 per cent stake in the Nullagine Iron Ore Project in Western Australia.
- INPEX – on equity sell-downs of its interest in the Ichthys LNG Project with various purchasers, including Tokyo Gas, Osaka Gas, Toho Gas and Chubu.
Mark is an active member of the Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association (AMPLA) and sits on the State Committee of the Western Australian Branch of AMPLA. Mark is also a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
Mark is admitted to practice in Western Australia and New South Wales.