Pulse: Cyber security
22 January 2018
When it comes to cyber security it can be hard to separate the important from the sensational. Through regular bulletins, we do the hard yards so that you can keep your finger on the pulse with the latest cyber security trends, incidents, legal issues and regulatory activity. Plus, we'll make sure that you have a good cyber story to tell at your next dinner party.
In this issue, we shine a light on ransomware – what it is, how it works, how much it costs, the continuing effects of recent attacks, and the key considerations to keep in mind when deciding whether to concede to a ransomware hacker's demands. We also look at how data breaches might trigger a listed company's continuous disclosure obligations, the OAIC's investigation into Precedent Communications, and the Australian Cyber Security Centre's 2017 Threat Report.
We'd love to hear from you, so please get in touch if you'd like to know more about anything in this edition of Pulse, or if there's a topic that you’d like us to cover in the future.
- Spotlight: (almost) everything you need to know about ransomware
- Ransomware: the year in review
- Should you pay a cyber criminal's ransom?
- Coming clean and staying clean: continuous disclosure obligations in the age of the data breach
- OAIC concludes investigation into Precedent Communications
- The Australian Cyber Security Centre's 2017 Threat Report
- Gavin SmithPartner, Sector Leader, Technology, Media & Telecommunications,
Ph: +61 2 9230 4891
- Valeska BlochPartner,
Ph: +61 2 9230 4030
- Michael ParkPartner,
Ph: +61 3 9613 8331
- Michael MorrisPartner,
Ph: +61 7 3334 3279
- Ian McGillPartner,
Ph: +61 2 9230 4893
- Phil O'SullivanManaging Associate,
Ph: +61 2 9230 4393
- David RountreeManaging Associate,
Ph: +61 2 9230 4773
- Samantha Naylor BrownAssociate,
Ph: +61 2 9230 4458
- Leah WickmanAssociate,
Ph: +61 3 9613 8893
You can leave a comment on this publication below. Please note, we are not able to provide specific legal advice in this forum. If you would like advice relating to this topic, contact one of the authors directly. Please do not include links to websites or your comment may not be published.