John is a leading energy infrastructure specialist with significant private and public sector experience (electricity, ports, rail, water, gas), including, as Allens lead partner, on government restructurings and divestments in three states and the development, sale and acquisition of energy, resources and infrastructure assets throughout Australia.
John's experience includes:
- Solar developments – acting for developers of solar projects in all mainland states, including offtake arrangements (energy and/or RECs), connection agreements, project acquisition, project divestment, NER and state based regulatory advice, finance/bankability and overall project management.
- Privatisations – acted for the States of SA, Queensland and NSW as to their divestments (variously Networks (electricity and gas transmission and distribution); Generation (thermal and renewable); Retail (electricity and gas); Ports).
- SA Government – procurement of the Pelican Point Power Station, supported by a retail hedge support mechanism.
- Energex – development of its precedent connection and access contracts and, prior to its development, its solar PV program.
- Development of the (Qld) Tarong North, (WA) Bluewaters 1 and 2 (coal), Worsley Co-gen, Emu Downs Wind Farm, (NSW) Glennies Creek mine gas stations and (Vic) Bald Hills wind farm.
- Resources/O&G – acted in these sectors, including as to operational issues; JVAs/JOAs; disputes; GSAs; acquisitions and divestments.
- Author – Halsbury’s Laws of Australia – Energy; Renewable Energy.
- Citations – Chambers Asia Pacific: Eminent Practitioner – Utilities; Best Lawyers Aust: Banking & Finance; Energy; Natural Resources.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Client Update - 14 March 2017
- Media - 26 October 2016