Rob specialises in capital markets, M&A, funds management and general Corporations Act advisory work.
He is Co-Head of the firm's Capital Markets Practice Group and is ranked as a leading capital markets lawyer by Chambers Global ('Technically excellent and very responsive') and PLC Which Lawyer?.
Rob regularly acts for both issuers and lead managers on capital markets transactions involving equity, debt and hybrid securities. He has significant experience in dealing with both the Australian Securities Exchange and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
Rob's capital markets experience includes advising the issuers or lead manager on the following transactions:
- IPOs and ASX listings – IDP Education, SCA Property Group, Dyno Nobel, MacarthurCook Industrial Property Fund, Intueri Education, Vista Group, Tattersall's, RAMS Home Loans, SEEK, Repco Corporation, AWB, Mariner Pipeline Income Fund, Viridis Clean Energy Group, Select Managed Funds and Uecomm.
- Entitlement offers – traditional and accelerated entitlement offers by National Australia Bank, Western Desert Resources, Tabcorp, WA Newspapers (now SevenWest Media), Amcor, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, Newcrest Mining, Gindalbie Metals, Nufarm, Healthscope, Sino Gold, Devine Group, FKP Property Group, Norfolk Group, Abacus Property Group, Lihir Gold, Viridis Clean Energy Group, APA Group, APN News & Media and IBA Health/iSOFT.
- Institutional placements – Tabcorp, Newcrest Mining, ANZ Bank, National Australia Bank, Macquarie Group, Western Desert Resources, CFS Retail Property Trust, Lihir Gold, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, CSL, Mirabela Nickel, IBA Health, APA Group, SPC Ardmona, Transpacific Industries, Macquarie Countrywide Trust and ARC Energy.
- Hybrid and retail debt offers – Caltex Australia, Tabcorp, AMP, Southern Cross Airports Corporation, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank and Amcor.
- Block trades – Air New Zealand and Caltex Australia.
Rob also has significant M&A experience, covering private sales, public takeovers (including the conduct of proceedings before the Takeovers Panel) and court-approved schemes of arrangement.
Rob's M&A experience includes advising on the following transactions:
- Norfolk Group – takeover by RCR Tomlinson via scheme of arrangement.
- Nintex Group – takeover by US private equity groups TA Associates and Updata Partners via a takeover bid.
- Foster's Group – defence of the hostile takeover bid by SABMiller and the subsequent agreed scheme of arrangement.
- Goldman Sachs Australia – advising the shareholders of Goldman Sachs & Partners Australia on the acquisition by The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. of the remaining 55% of Goldman Sachs & Partners Australia.
- AXA Asia Pacific Holdings Limited – advising National Australia Bank on its proposed takeover of AXA Asia Pacific Holdings via scheme of arrangement.
- Transurban Group – advising Canada Pension Plan and Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan on their proposed acquisition of Transurban Group via scheme of arrangement.
- MacarthurCook – proposed takeover by AMP Capital and the successful takeover by AIMS Financial Group.
- Dyno Nobel – takeover by Incitec Pivot via scheme of arrangement.
- Alinta – advising the Macquarie Group-led consortium on its proposed acquisition of Alinta (including structuring the investment arrangements between consortium members).
- Dyno Nobel – advising the Macquarie Group-led consortium on its acquisition of the Australian and North American businesses of Dyno Nobel (including structuring the investment arrangements between consortium members).
- United Energy – takeover by an AMP Henderson-Alinta consortium via scheme of arrangement.
- WMC – demerger via scheme of arrangement to form WMC Resources and Alumina.
- Other takeovers – advising Pallinghurst Resources on its takeover bid for Consolidated Minerals, advising WMC Resources on takeover bids by Xstrata and BHP Billiton and advising Medco Energy on its takeover bid for Novus Petroleum.
- Private sales – the sale of a 50 per cent stake in BGF Equities to CanaccordGenuity, the sale of Omnigraphics to Qatar Media Services, the sale by CSL of its animal health business to Pfizer and its JRH Biosciences business to Sigma-Aldrich, the sale by United Energy, Shell and Woodside of its Pulse Energy Business to AGL, and the sale of Deutsche Bank's Australian Financial Planning and Portfolio Management business to National Australia Bank.
Robert is admitted to practice in Victoria and South Australia.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Media - 4 November 2016
- Media - 13 September 2016
- Media - 1 July 2016
- Media - 11 May 2016