Guiding principles to help manage AI risk
The exponential uptake of generative AI, including tools such as ChatGPT, means that both the opportunities and risks of its use and deployment are increasing at scale.
We believe companies need to start applying guardrails to AI development, use and deployment, but we understand that it can be hard to know where and how to start.
That's why we've developed an AI Governance Toolkit for General Counsel and Boards, to help companies manage their AI risk in a way that:
- is fit-for-purpose and proportionate to the risks, in light of current levels of investment (which, in many cases, are still limited); and
- is an enabler to the responsible deployment of AI within organisations, especially as deployment becomes more widespread.
The toolkit includes:
- questions to ask your business to help identify and manage AI risks
- information about establishing your AI governance committee
- a roadmap to design and implement an AI governance framework
- a checklist for directors to guide oversight of AI
- lessons from the approach taken by regulators in relation to the management of cyber risks that can be applied to AI governance.