Chris specialises in restructuring and insolvency, as well as practicing in commercial litigation and regulatory investigations.
He acts for banks, financial institutions and bondholders in relation to distressed situations, including solvent restructures, formal insolvency processes (including liquidations, schemes of arrangement, receiverships, administrations and deeds of company arrangement) and insolvency litigation.
He has acted for clients across a range of industries, including finance, infrastructure, mining and mining services, power and utilities, construction, media and agribusiness.
Chris also regularly acts for financial institutions in relation to regulatory investigations.
Chris's recent experience includes:
- Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal – advising the lending syndicate in relation to a $3.5bn secured debt facility.
- Quintis Limited – acting as bondholder counsel for the secured debt providers to Quintis Limited, a sandalwood plantation owner and manager.
- Channel Ten – acting for the Commonwealth Bank of Australia in relation to its exposure to the Channel Ten group, including the appointment of receivers and managers.
- Callide C – advising Ferrier Hodgson as receivers and managers of the interest held by the Intergen Group in the Callide C power station.
- Reliance Rail – acting for Citibank N.A. as super senior hedge provider to a public private partnership for the construction of rolling stock.
- BrisConnections – advising the syndicate of lenders, and subsequently PPB Advisory as the receivers and managers of the operator of the Airport Link M7 toll road in Brisbane after it went into external administration with debts in excess of $3 billion.
- BIS Industries – acting for the senior lenders to BIS Industries in relation to the restructure of secured debt of over $700m owed by a mining services provider.
- Southern Estate Wines – advising the main secured creditor, and McGrath Nicol as receivers and managers, of a grape crushing facility in Griffith, NSW.
- SNL Mining – advising Sinopec as the main creditor of an iron ore export business, including acting for PPB Advisory in relation to the subsequent liquidation.
- Compass Resources – advising Hunan Non-Ferrous Metals Corporation in relation to its joint venture interest in the Browns Oxide Project and acting for Ernst & Young as receivers and managers of its joint venture partner, Compass Resources.
- Damelian Automobile Group – advising Ferrier Hodgson as receivers of a car dealership group.
- Alinta – advising a syndicate of lenders on the restructure of Alinta, including a solvent scheme of arrangement.
- Lift Capital – advising McGrath Nicol as the administrators and then liquidators of Lift Capital (a margin lending business), including the implementation of a scheme of arrangement.
- ASIC and ACCC investigations – advising financial institutions on managing and responding to investigations, including public and private examination processes and follow-on litigation.
Chris is the author of the Australian chapter of the Asset Tracing and Recovery Review.