Jeremy specialises in mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings and corporate governance. He is recognised by Chambers-Asia Pacific 2018 as a notable practitioner and it is reported that he 'provides outstanding support, legal advice and contract negotiating skills'. Jeremy also leads Allens' Healthcare sector.
His private treaty M&A experience includes advising:
- a consortium led by Hastings Funds Management and First State Super – on its successful A$2.6 billion bid to operate a 35-year concession of the land titling and registry operations of New South Wales Land and Property Information.
- First Solar – on its agreement to sell the Manildra Solar Farm to ASX listed, New Energy Solar. The acquisition is based on an enterprise value of approximately $113 million (excluding transaction costs and stamp duty).
- Goldwind – on its successful bid to purchase the Stockyard Hill Wind Farm Project in Victoria, following a competitive tender process run by Origin Energy.
- DuPont – on the Australian corporate law aspects of its merger of equals with Dow involving the spin out of three publicly traded companies, and DuPont ioneer on the divestment of its Australian seeds production and distribution business.
- Archer Capital – on its sale of private hospital business Healthe Care to China's Luye Medical Group for A$938 million.
- Allianz Australia – on its acquisition from the Northern Territory Government of its privatised general insurance business for A$424 million.
- Beijing Capital Group – on its acquisition from Transpacific Industries Group Ltd of its integrated waste management business in New Zealand for NZ$950 million.
- Telecom Corporation of New Zealand Limited – on the sale of AAPT Limited to TPG Telecom Limited for A$450 million.
- NYSE listed Pfizer – as Australian counsel on its US$68 billion acquisition of Wyeth, including the successful divestments of the Fort Dodge companion animal vaccines business to Boehringer Ingelheim and the Fort Dodge Australia livestock business to Virbac, and on the sale of its Australian consumer healthcare business to Johnson & Johnson.
- Merck – as Australian counsel on its US$41 billion merger with Schering-Plough, including integration and transactions related to the merger.
- Japan-based Nikko Asset Management Co., Ltd. – on its acquisition of Tyndall Investments in Australia and New Zealand, from the Suncorp-Metway Group.
His public M&A experience includes advising:
- Pacific Equity Partners – in relation to the acquisition of ASX-listed LifeHealthcare Group Limited, a medical device distributor via a members’ scheme of arrangement.
- Caisse de Depot et Placement du Quebec and Utilities Trust of Australia – on their A$1.2 billion takeover bid for Hastings Diversified Utilities Fund, an ASX listed stapled infrastructure fund.
- St.George Bank – on its A$67 billion merger with Westpac Banking Corporation by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Dairy Farmers – on its sale to National Foods for A$910 million by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Wesfarmers – on its recommended cash and share offer for Coles by way of scheme of arrangement for A$20.7 billion.
- Brambles – on the unification of its Australian/UK Dual Listed Companies structure via a 'top-hatting' scheme of arrangement.
Jeremy was based in our Shanghai office from 2002 to 2006 where he acted on a number of significant China in-bound investments including for ANZ Bank on its acquisitions of a 19.9 per cent stake in Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank (the largest rural commercial bank in China at the time) for US$252 million, and a 20 per cent stake in Bank of Tianjin (China's fourth largest city commercial bank by assets at the time) for US$120 million.
Jeremy is a co-author of the Lexis/Nexis service, Australian Corporations Practice and regularly presents on corporate governance.
Areas of Expertise
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Allens Accelerate
- China Group
- Head Office & Governance
Recent News & Publications
- Linklaters Insights - 19 September 2017