Leading offshore wind projects in Australia
The first offshore wind projects will play a key role in shaping the offshore wind industry in Australia, and it is critical that we get it right.
The Federal and Victorian Governments have been spearheading Australia's offshore wind sector, with the Federal Government introducing an offshore electricity licensing framework and the Victorian Offshore Wind Policy Directions Paper outlining the state’s vision and targets for offshore wind. Other Australian states and territories are also considering how to support offshore wind projects – now is the time to focus our efforts on this emerging industry.
Offshore wind projects are subject to a broad range of assessment, approval and compliance requirements under both Federal and state laws, as well as some key onshore considerations.
How we can help
Our team has market-leading experience advising on Australia's first-to-market offshore wind development projects – as well as extensive experience in Australian onshore renewables and offshore wind projects in other parts of the world. This expertise, combined with our deep knowledge of the offshore oil and gas sector and its regulations (on which the Australian offshore wind framework is based), means our core team has an excellent understanding of the issues that are likely to arise around offshore wind developments.
We help our clients with key aspects such as:
- Project lifecycle planning
- Approvals strategy and pathway advice
- Regulatory reform
- Project structuring and tax advice
- Project finance
- Development of new technologies, including IP and partnering for commercialisation
- Site selection, tenure and native title
- Environmental impact assessments, planning and regulatory approvals
- Risk, compliance, licensing and reporting
- Workplace health and safety