Unlocking the opportunities in banking
Few sectors have changed as dramatically in the past few years as the payments sector. In light of advances in the digital economy, there's a clear opportunity to innovate in the movement of money between individuals and organisations.
To make the most of the opportunities this presents, players need to successfully navigate a complex legal landscape. That landscape differs depending on whether the player is an incumbent ADI, a fintech startup or a big tech platform.
Payments at a glance
How we can help
We are experts in payments, bringing together leading M&A, technology and data, financial regulation, AML, competition and consumer protection and tax specialists.
Our expertise is built on years of working with different types of players in the payments ecosystem, including the banks, payment schemes, BNPL providers, fintechs and retailers. We were the first major law firm to offer a dedicated practice for fintech startups and fintechs – through Allens Accelerate.
Our payments team assists payments providers to successfully:
- establish optimal structures that meet financial regulatory requirements
- design and document strategic partnership arrangements to achieve industry-first payment innovations
- navigate various uses of transaction data within the privacy and CDR frameworks, whilst mitigating cybersecurity risks
- comply with AML obligations and navigate regulatory scrutiny
- manage their competition and consumer law exposure when it comes to engaging in the ecosystem and acquiring targets, and to engage effectively with the ACCC
- conduct M&A processes to invest in or acquire targets that help drive digital transformation outcomes.