25 years of class actions
Our Class Actions team reflects on where we are up to with class action litigation in Australia, where we are going and what can be done to improve the balance between the different policy objectives and interests.
You can also read our Special Report on Class Action Risk: This report provides a holistic assessment of class action risk by reference to objective data – including filing and resolution trends, the sectors most at risk, the biggest contributors to risk and potential agents for change.
Allens has one of the leading practices in commercial litigation and dispute resolution in the region. Many of our litigation partners are recognised as world leaders in their field and market research shows that our accomplished litigation practice has 'put airspace between itself and its competitors' (Chambers Global – The World's Leading Lawyers).
With more than 220 lawyers, our dispute resolution team has the resources and expertise to assist in any dispute. In Australia's highly regulated commercial environment, our specialists can help you identify regulatory risks and respond appropriately.
We act in some of Australia's most significant disputes, including class actions, public and private investigations (including inquiries by ASIC, the ASX, the ACCC, the ATO, APRA, Royal Commissions and Senate inquiries), and competition cases. We frequently assist with the Australian component of major international disputes, and have the capacity to conduct matters in jurisdictions throughout the region.
Some of our recent high-profile cases include:
- Macquarie Bank – in relation to the multi-billion dollar collapse of Storm Financial;
- Amcor – ACCC investigation into alleged cartel behaviour;
- News Australia – ATO sought to set aside $1.5 billion of capital losses.
We appreciate that our clients' first priority is to manage and minimise risk. Our aim is to give clients a thorough and clear assessment of their position, the various options available, and a recommendation on how best to achieve a timely, commercial and cost-effective solution. We use innovative technology and processes to achieve significant efficiencies for our clients.
Our aim is to help clients avoid litigious disputes but, where litigation is unavoidable, we pursue it rigorously, innovatively and efficiently.
Our relationship focus
We strive to build strong relationships by getting to know our clients. We use our extensive resources to stay abreast of relevant issues and to keep our clients informed.
Our approach is to provide straightforward advice. We regard our clients' interests as a priority at all times. We clearly scope all new matters with you, so that we both know what is expected in terms of legal advice, time frame and costs.
Principal practice areas
We have a depth and range of experience across many areas, including:
- administrative law
- banking & financial services (including consumer credit)
- class actions
- shareholder class actions
- product liability actions
- other representative proceedings
- commercial and contractual disputes
- competition law/trade practices
- construction and building
- restructuring and insolvency
- workouts and restructures
- asset recovery
- general insolvency advice and litigation
- corporations law
- continuous disclosure
- applications under the Corporations Law
- examinations by liquidators and administrators
- securities litigation
- breach of directors' duties
- defamation and media law
- environment & planning
- insurance and professional indemnity
- intellectual property
- International business obligations
- anti bribery and anti-money laundering
- disaster management
- international trade and investment laws
- legal/litigation risk minimisation for large-scale projects or investments in high-risk jurisdictions
- business human rights obligations
- public inquiries
- royal and special commissions
- coronial inquests
- product liability
- resources & energy and infrastructure
- regulatory investigations and compliance
- ASIC/ASX investigations
- APRA, ATO, ACCC investigations
- workplace relations/occupational health & safety