Allens has one of the leading superannuation practices in Australia. We have extensive experience in all aspects of superannuation law, and act for the employer-sponsors or trustees of many of Australia's largest funds.
We specialise in advising both employer-sponsors and superannuation fund trustees on a wide range of issues, including fund establishment, mergers, outsourcing, claims by members and beneficiaries, and trust deed amendments and interpretation.
We are pro-active in our approach, contacting superannuation fund clients with information regarding legal developments that may affect their arrangements and responsibilities. The level of our experience also means that we can be practical and commercially focused, offering solutions that are both effective and consistent with industry best practice.
We are involved in the full range of superannuation issues, including:
- drafting or reviewing trust deeds and rules for new and restructuring funds;
- advising and updating employer-sponsors and trustees on the interpretation of trust deeds and rules and their obligations, and powers under these documents and under superannuation and other applicable legislation;
- reviewing trust deeds and fund administrative arrangements to ensure compliance with equal opportunity, privacy and other applicable legislation;
- advising trustees on death and disability claims;
- litigation, including conducting matters in the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal and the courts;
- liaising with the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission and the Australian Taxation Office on compliance difficulties and queries;
- drafting or reviewing investment management and custody agreements, and advising in relation to such ancillary agreements as futures trading agreements; and
- taxation issues.