Our track record is a long and successful one. In particular our involvement has included:
Olympic and Commonwealth Games
- International Olympic Committee – advising on copyright, trade mark and related commercial issues in relation to broadcasting agreements for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, as well as agreements for the Winter and Summer Olympic Games in 2010 and 2012.
- Australian Olympic Committee – advising on a wide range of issues associated with the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and 2012 London Olympic Games, including drafting and negotiating licensing and ticketing agreements, and advising on ambush marketing issues, advertising, brand protection and advice, trade mark issues, sponsorship issues and online media rights issues.
- Commonwealth Games Federation – advising on the host city contracts, broadcasting rights, marketing agreements, intellectual property assignments, and licensing issues in relation to the 2006, 2010 and 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- Official Law Firm For The Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games – advising on trade marks, designs, copyright licensing, host broadcasting agreement, international and domestic broadcasting television rights agreements, online and media rights and ambush marketing.
International sporting events
- Rugby World Cup Limited/IMG – advising on the licensing of broadcasting rights for the Rugby World Cups 2011 and 2015. We also advised on trade mark, copyright, broadcasting and ambush marketing issues for the Rugby World Cup 2007.
- Australian Grand Prix Corporation – advising on intellectual property registration and enforcement, anti-counterfeiting strategies, general licensing and contractual issues in relation to both the Australian Grand Prix and the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix.
- Victoria Racing Club – advising on a wide variety of issues including intellectual property, sponsorship and broadcasting issues, in relation to Australia's premier international horse racing event, the Melbourne Cup.
- Rugby World Cup 2011 and 2015 – advising on television rights, copyright, ambush marketing, sponsorship, licensing, customs programs, online broadcasting and sports betting issues.
Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)
One of our consultants holds the position of Honorary Permanent Secretary for CAS Oceania and Allens is responsible for the administrative functions of the CAS Oceania Registry. We have had extensive involvement in doping prosecutions, disciplinary proceedings and selection disputes.
Major Australian Sporting Bodies
- Australian Rugby Union – advising on the allocation of grants to state and territory rugby unions as well as trade mark registration, protection and disputes.
- V8 Supercars Australia – advising on Internet and mobile telephone rights, broadcasting rights agreements, production arrangements, sponsorship arrangements, trade marks and anti-counterfeiting issues.
- Cricket Australia – advising on a range of matters including commercial agreements, intellectual property registration and enforcement and advising on an anti-counterfeiting strategy.
- Golf Australia – advising on strategic, commercial and intellectual property matters.
Venues and event management
- Victorian Major Events Corporation – advising the organisation responsible for bringing major sporting events to Victoria, including the Formula One and Rugby Union's Bledisloe Cup, since its establishment in 1993 on a wide range of matters.
- Sky Channel – acting for the world's leading multi-venue racing broadcaster, to protect the use of Sky Channel's broadcasting rights against copyright infringement by third parties showing racing footage over the Internet and on mobile telephones.
- FOXTEL, News Limited and Premier Media Group – successfully acting for these clients in the highly publicised, landmark Federal Court proceedings concerning claims that the acquisition of the AFL rights by News and the on sale of those rights to FOXTEL, Nine and Ten, the acquisition of the NRL pay TV rights by Premier Media and the content supply agreement between FOXTEL and Optus that breached the Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth).
- Advising a number of corporate sponsors of major sporting events including Ford, PepsiCo, Heineken Lion, Seiko, Coates Hire, Rio Tinto, Beam Brands, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Kraft and Cadbury Schweppes.